RS Components - packaging

They seem to have some strange ideas there. Sometimes a whole bunch of stuff arrives in a padded bag barely big enough for the task. At others times they'll send 10 half watt resistors in a box as big as a half litre milk carton, stuffed with missing matter.

I can only assume that they don't pay the courier by volume.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Minimum fee? Probably what the packer had to immediate hand.

Reply to
news16

Same experiance here. But at the end of the day, if the components don't arrive damaged then the packaging was obvious sufficient.

As they can happily send things with next day delivery to my location in the middle of nowhere without charge, I can only imagine that they must have some bulk deal with Toll where every package costs the same (presumably up to some maximum quantity/volume which they don't expect to reach).

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Sometimes I feel a bit guilty when I order just $1 worth of resistors from them, which they put into a box, and courier to me free of charge. It's hard to believe they make a profit on that kind of transaction.

Still, I do buy other stuff from them, and I remind myself that this is the business model they've chosen.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Many components can be particularly more expensive than other suppliers though. Perhaps when you pay for a larger order you're effectively paying the cost of them sending all the other small orders due to a fixed postage mark-up on all items. This may be to attact the business of people developing products who may later make larger orders, while they don't expect their existing large customers to be put off by the increased cost to them.

Well, that's just my theory. In any case they haven't gone broke, so it can't be working too badly.

--