Proper Name

I am doing up some doc's on a design but I can't remember the proper name for this type of output, which is being used in the designed.

Currently I have it in the doc as "common emitter, complementary totem pole output" however, I did remember an official name for this type of output, which I can't seem to bring to mind!

(+)

  • | | | + ___ |< -|___|-| PNP |\ + | | | OUT +----------------+ | | | | + ___ |/ -|___|-| NPN |> + | | (-)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Without any thought I would have called it a complementary pair output. But for bipolar that would normally be associated with output transistors with their emitters connected. However a complementary CMOS output would use a similar topology with the sources connected to the power supplies.

Otherwise I'm not sure if it's a practical arrangement with bipolars such that it is worthy of a name!!

For info:

Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
www.videosolutions.ltd.uk
Reply to
Mike Perkins

I use that lay out when I want to get close to the rails and do basic current limiting control.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Of course, but tying the bases of a standard complementary pair is safer in ensuring only one transistor is on at a time.

Mind if you're working of a 1.5V battery .........

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

"Jamie"

** There is not one "correct" name.

"Complementary common emitter" output stage is the most precise.

"Complementary collector output " is another, that is OK.

Also, some will use the name " complementary Sziklai output stage" to really impress.

What you schem shows is incomplete - so it has no name.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Perhaps (a type of) "half-bridge"?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

This is often referred to by its marketing term: Rail-to-rail output stage or RR output stage.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Wikipedia offers some names: Looks like "Symmetrical push-pull" is the closest.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Providing the 2 bases are tighed up, we (in France at least) call this schematic "push-pull". Was very popular for audio output.

HTH, Den

Reply to
Den