Farnell packaging silliness

Farnell have always gone a bit overboard on packaging, but my latest shipment I thought was just silly.

Some SMD resistors back ordered from the US (Newark) arrived in the usual courier bag, inside of which was a padded #0 jiffy bag for EACH resistor type! Of course, inside the jiffy bag was the usual labeled zip-lock bag with my tiny strip of resistors along with another peel-off label.

The world is now short a dozen jiffy bags. Insane.

Anyone got any other ludicrous packaging stories?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Probably some other Farnell ones of a similat nature but I reckon yours beats mine.

I have had SMD IC samples delivered in large boxes filled with 'green' paper packaging material. It's a bit like looking for a pin in the haystack finding the sample.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yup, I've had those as well! Mine are usually of the foam peanut variety though. At least they are fun to play with, makes a nice mess in the office.

Digikey now use a recycled perforated brown paper packaging. Neat stuff, but still "looks" very wasteful.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I ordered 4 parts from HP Aust for a LJ1200 last month. They arrived in 3 separate boxes, on 3 separate days. The boxes were quite large for such small parts:- separation pad, pickup roller, small gear. An even larger box was used for the paper pickup shaft. All were sent from Singapore via DHL, then by courier from Sydney. And, they didn't charge me any freight. I don't know how they make any money!

I have today just ordered some SMD resistors and LEDs from Farnell, I'll let you know when they arrive how the packaging is.

Cheers Colin

Reply to
Colin Horsley

Volume!!! ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"David L. Jones" wrote in news:015b55c5-9be3-4392-b492- snipped-for-privacy@j1g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

How about this from HP?

and this as well

Jim

Reply to
JimW52

JimW52 wrote in news:Xns9AFBD9C4FEAA4jimbignosecom@85.214.90.236:

Oops, second URL should have been:-

Jim

Reply to
JimW52

I'm afraid this last link is hard to believe Jim.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Kelep

I complained for years about over packaging, especially from US companies, as the customer of course wears the extra costs of both the packaging and the shipping. I simply gave up. I don't think I have been able to convince anyone to change their ways.

It is also a very good reason why people globally buy from companies like mine, including US customers, as I post low cost world wide.

I spent 3 hours yesterday re-packaging 8 very large cartons from CCS in the US (PIC ICD-U40 Programmers) into the space of a single 25KG Fedex carton.

Nice examples Jim, they knocked me over. High of stupidity.

Ian mentioned re-using packaging. I also re-use a lot of it, but heaps of cardboard cartons end up in the recycle bin.

The wooden pallet picture reminds me of a story attributed to Henry "You can have any colour as long as it's black" Ford. He specified that machine parts had to arrive at his factory in wooden crates in exact dimensions. The crates we re-used to make the floor boards of his T Model Automobiles. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 06:14:34 +1000, Don McKenzie put finger to keyboard and composed:

Our council recently issued every household with a green recycle bin for garden waste. Now the original general waste bins had green lids, albeit the same green as the body, so they were all refitted with red lids. Wouldn't it have been smarter to have issued everyone with new red general waste bins and changed the function of the existing green bins?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

"Mark Kelep" wrote in news:sbfpk.28570$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

I've written to the nice people at The Register and they say you can have your money baxk. OK?

Jim

Reply to
JimW52

Thank f*&k for that, i was getting worried there for a minute

Reply to
Mark Kelep

Are they the same size? If they are, they only have to order and stock one item, and add lids as needed.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They do the same here. The truck crew sorts it into bins on the recycling truck at each stop. I live outside the city and don't use a commercial hauler, so I take the recyclables to the closest transfer station where separate containers are available for each type of item.