OT: Heating Windows To Reduce Condensation During Winter

I've got a bit of a problem. Its now winter here in Japan and my heater works great... But My windows are single pane and condensating like crazy.

Anyhow, I'm looking for some kind of heating for these windows.. Possible carbon track heating like on the rear windows of cars. I know the proper solution is to have a proper insulated doube pane window, but this place is an apartment so I can't change the window.

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

  1. Check the humidity in the apartment, if it's above 50% get a dehumidifier to control the humidity.
  2. Put heavy drapes over the windows to insulate them. This wil keep the maoisture inside the apartment from reaching the windows and also keep the apartment warmer.
  3. Cover the inside of the windows with clear plastic. These will serve a storm windows and keep the moisture from reaching the window panes. This will also keep the room warmer.

The dehumidifier will have a control to set the humidity level, so it will only run when needed.

I can think of several ways to heat the glass, but can't recommend any of them because of the associated costs and safety factors.

John

Reply to
news

y.

is

If there is a fan blowing air around the room, it may help to reduce the moisture build-up. I get a little condensation on the inside of my double-glazed windows when I get up in the morning because the window shades that we put down at night stop air circulation and there is condensation on the inside bottom window. As soon as the shades are up for a few minutes, the air circulation evaporates the moisture. Using the stick-on plastic film to make a second window thickness works well, but I don't know if it is available in Japan. It is at almost all hardware stores here in the USA.

Reply to
hrhofmann

A product that's sold in some cold areas here in the U.S. is a weatherstripping film. You lay it over the windows, tape the edges, and then hit it with hot air from a hair dryer. The film shrinks, becomes taut, and by trapping air between the film and the glass you get some of the insulating effect of double-pane glass. It'll keep the moist indoor air away from the cold glass, and reduce condensation.

When warm weather arrives, just peel off the tape.

This would probably be a lot less expensive than trying to rig up on-glass heaters.

If you can't find this exact product, you might be able to improvise with available materials.

Dave Platt

There is a product used for adding a layer of heat-shrinkable film to the inside of the window. That will stop condensation for the most part. Keeping the humidity down also helps.

Reply to
Meat Plow

At a pinch double sided tape & cling film will work.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I'm going to try the film over the window first and see how that goes. Seems like it might work.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Won't cost you much to find out. I used it for years before replacing my windows with double pane, double hung variety. Try to keep your humidity around 50%, that will help also.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Being from Florda I'm not used to dealing with these types of problems.. Back home It rarely gets cold enough outside to cause the windows to condensate, let alone drip like mine have been doing for the past week. Think I'm going to have to use cling wrap and double sided tape like was suggested above.. Anyhow its a bit warmer now so the problem is gone a little while.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

In that case, now is the time to do the job !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

didn't they sell a similar product for lining the frames of model wooden airplane wings? basically cover and use a heat source to draw it taught. Only problem is i doubt the would sell it in a clear film, usually it was coloured, at the hobby shops..

Reply to
Gus