How to reduce IR sensitivity

I have an IR operated garbage can, trouble is the sensor is too sensitive and it opens whenever you walk by. How can I reduce the sensitivity of the IR receiver so I have to put my hand very close to the sensor before the lid opens?

tia

Reply to
Father Guido

Try various thicknesses of different plastics , clear or opaque, but not polythene, over the sensor

N_Cook

Or different colours of electricians' self-adhesive PVC tape.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Or drink loads of chilled beer to lower ye body temperature....

--
Adrian C
Reply to

That type of Selotape which is translucent milky white on the reel, but almost invisible when used, is pretty good. Just use as many layers as are required to obtain the required sensitivity. It also works well for annoyingly high-intensity LED indicators on the front of STBs and the like.

--
Ian
Reply to

Partly cover the pickup?

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Hi, thanks for the tips, they all make some sense to me. I'll try them out as I get materials!

Thanks again,

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

try clear tape

Reply to
diltek.ie

I have used black electrical tape. I start by partialy covering the sensor window, and increasing how much it is covered to reduce the sensitivity.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

We used to use exposed Kodachrome. Got any bad old slides ??

greg

Reply to
GregS

How about 20 pounds of scrap, undeveloped Lithographic film?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I haven't seen it suggested yet, you could try breaking open a floppy disk and use the media as a filter. The media in a floppy lets IR through, just not so well and it sounds like what you are after.

I just checked it with an image converter, you may need a few layers.

Thor

Reply to
Thor

I've tried various amounts of scotch tape, but just putting the tape over the sensor activates it, and it never resets. I.e. I turned the device off, placed tape over sensor in varying levels and positions but when I turn the device on, it opens and refuses to close. Sigh.

I look at some of the other suggestions, thanks for your help!

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

have tried aluminum or stainless foil/tape

Reply to
New Jersey

do you know how it works? I'd expect it to be passive, but the tape keeping it on suggests active? If it's passive, there needs to be some means to track ambient conditions and react to change. Attenuation will decrease SNR but probably not do what you want. I'd look at baffles/reflective surfaces to point the detection zone away from where you are.

The low-tech solution might be to rotate the can.

Or fill it with cold beer. Then you'd want it to open when you go by. If the tool don't fit the job, change the job...

Better yet, take out the batteries. Some things just don't benefit from automation. ;-) mike

Reply to
mike