ONKYO TX810 frontend

I have this ONKYO TX810 Tuner/Amplifier which lost FM reception intermittently. Using the coldspray and the heatgun I have isolated the problem to the Frontend subassy. Unfortunately I neither have a PL or a schematic to further fault isolate the problem. The frontend is manufactured by ALPS but no other markings. Is there anybody out there on the WWW who can shed some light on this tuner? (Mark can you help me again?)

TIA Bram

Reply to
Brasto

If it's indeed intermittent I would certainly try resoldering the front end. Pretty common problem back in the day - though I don't see it too often these days outside of TV tuners.

Try it and see. If that doesn't help maybe we can look at some other stuff.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

ONKYO TX810 Tuner/Amplifier which lost FM reception

Hello Mark, That's what I tried before, I have even taken the front end out completely and played Sherlock Holmes with my magnifier glass. After all this heating/cooling/soldering I probably have killed a tempsensitive component/coil/trace as the tuner now is completely dead. I tried to locate a source for a replacement frontend but no luck so far. It could help if you have the pin-outs or schematic of the frontend....

Reply to
Brasto

I sent the manual to you directly.

mz

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

ONKYO TX810 Tuner/Amplifier which lost FM reception

Hello Mark, Just a Thank You message... I took the front end completely apart, its shielding cover has 16 or so solder joints to the PCBoard. Again a thorough inspection did not reveal any obvious shorts. I temporarely reinstalled the front end without any shields and the Onkyo was back to normal life, it tuned/stored/played as advertised. Did some more poking/tapping and it remained stable. Removed the frontend again and carefully reapplied the shielding covers. Once more the tuner back into the mainboard and the job was done. Thanks again for your great longdistance diagnosis and schematic support...Another fine product saved from getting trashed.

Reply to
Brasto

Glad that seems to have worked out. Not sure I'd bury that unit too deep in the stack until it's proven that it's really fixed, though...

Perhaps the bad solder was where the front end soldered to the board?

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias