ON Semiconductor

Hi, I'm hoping that someone out there will have some info on an
ON Semiconductor 5105FA

Re: ON Semiconductor

Not exactly what you were asking:
<https://www.onsemi.com/products/discretes-drivers/mosfets/ntr5105p
If you inscribe "5105" in the search box, you'll get a list of other
possible matches.

It would be very helpful if you would describe the package,
application, and provide a photo.  I don't think you're reading the
part number or manufacturer correctly.

Re: ON Semiconductor
On Wed, 07 Oct 2020 10:51:22 -0700

It's on a dashboard PCB from a Lincon Navigator, it seems to be a
one of a identical pair of switchers driving a transformer primary.
Here's an identical one to mine:

http://www.tehnari.ru/f39/t256954/

Thanks.

Re: ON Semiconductor

Board markings indicate a bipolar transistor.

I'm guessing ~TIP31B, based on the other body
marking.

CQ may indicate an automotive grade.

RL

Re: ON Semiconductor
On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 08:23:08 -0400

I've hit a blank everywhere else, so a suck-it-and-see lucky guess
substitution attempt is my next move. I've got some TIP31Bs - I'll let
you know if your guess wins ;-)

Cheers.

Re: ON Semiconductor

Well, that certainly is a readable ON Semi part number.  That package
is a TO-220:
<https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/221A-09.PDF
with a "style 1" pinout where the silk screened ECB suggest a bipolar
power transistor.  The problem is that searching the ON Semi web pile
yields a clock generator and a tiny SOT-23 MOSFET, neither of which is
available in a TO-220 style case.  There is such a thing as a 2N5105,
but it's an ancient low power JFET in a small TO-72 can.

Dead end, I guess.  Back in the stone age, I would have taken the
possibly matching device, put it on a transistor curve tracer, and
tried to deduce the device characteristics.  There daze, there are so
many different transistors, that such an exercise would probably be
futile.  I suggest you try to find a repair shop that refurbishes
automotive electronics.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=lincoln+navigator+refurbished+dashboard+modules
or buy something from your neighborhood chop shop (used auto parts
dealer).

Re: ON Semiconductor
On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 20:33:02 -0700

I've been down that road myself before I asked here. I de-soldered the
transistor that appeared undamaged to see if it would help me guess at a
replacement and the device turned out to be an np diode - the base
emmiter junction is no longer with us.

Thanks for your efforts.

Re: ON Semiconductor
Basic information:

What is it?
What is it from?
What does it do?
What does it look like?

Example: The ON datasheet number for a 2N3772 NPN power transistor is:  MJ15022. Their part number is:  MJ15024G.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: ON Semiconductor
On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 11:05:08 -0700 (PDT)