Re: WiFi out to 800 feet

I have a good mount at the house, a DSS dish bracket that I am not

> using. In fact I was thinking the dish might work with a little > hacking. I think the far end will end up on a 6" wood pole so that > should be pretty stable. I guess I need to do more reading on this. > Our plan B is to buy another WiFi connection from the cable company > but the cost is prohibitive and it requires 120v that we don't have so > that is even more money. I see plenty of solar WiFi cameras. They all > seem to want to use the cloud and I would rather keep this whole thing > in house if possible. I have enough residents protesting the camera > in the first place and if we are shipping it out to the internet that > would bother more of them. Some are pissed at how many Ring cameras > are in the neighborhood. A black helicopter has them hiding under the > bed. ;-)

You must live in my neighborhood! :)

You bring up two important issues: a. Power at the remote site 800 feet away, and, b. The Fresnel zone of a pole only six feet tall

You can look up the Fresnel zone stuff separately, which, in my experience, is more theoretical than practical since you just shove more directional beam power to overcome the losses due to lack of height.

Power is an issue.

I'll ping "alt.internet.wireless" & "sci.electronics.repair" with this post, who may be able to assist you more so than I can in how to set up the power (be advised to ignore the three infants on s.e.r if they respond).

What we do here in the Santa Cruz mountains, where the zoning is 40 acres per household, is "bucket routers" which are simply routers plugged into anything we can plug them into, between homes when we need to clear obstructions to our Line of Sight (LOS) WiFi transceivers.

But your suggestion of solar seems far better than bucket routers.

--
A "bucket router" is just a router under a bucket for weather protection.
Reply to

On 10/4/20 7:59 PM, Arlen Holder wrote: [ nothing of any importance, as usual ]

Piss the f*ck off.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

As always, Fox's Mercantile (aka Snit) proves he's an infant. o Let's see if the other two infants on s.e.r show their colors

Reply to
Arlen Holder

Like I give a f*ck what you think. And I ain't Snit.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

The cross-posting troll is back!

Please do not feed the troll!

Reply to
peterwieck33

But it's so much fun. Because he gets his panties in a really tight wad.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

The second infantile troll on s.e.r, as predicted, proved me right. o snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (aka Diesel)

What I find always enlightening is how worthless these trolls prove to be. o These 3 trolls don't have a purposefully helpful bone in their bodies 1. Snit (aka Fox's Mercantile) 2. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (aka Diesel) 3. ... (we're waiting for you)...

None have ever posted in their entire lives, anything of any value. o Any thread with them is 99% their trolls, and nothing of value.

--
They're basically children who post on s.e.r for their own amusement.
Reply to

Oh, be nice. 300ft is about the limit for omnidirectional antennas on both ends of a 2.4GHz link. For 800ft, directional antennas with some gain are going to be required. To get some decent speeds, 5GHz instead of 2.4GHz.

Small antennas, long range, high speed... pick any two.

Drivel: For your amusement, a Model 15 TTY used as a terminal for a Linux computah. Handling upper/lower case was a kludge and handling arithmetic and programming symbols was impossible. No mention of termcap or terminfo:

"Using a 1930 Teletype as a Linux Terminal"

Try it with your Model 15. That should keep you out of trouble for at least a little while.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I tried linking the shop to the house on 2.4 using 24" antennas at both ends. Distance was 1400 feet. Never could get it to work.

I bought a pair of Ubiquiti LiteBeam M5 with 23 dB antennas. Absolutely solid link.

I've seen that before. I don't have a Model 15. I have a Lorenz Lo-15c (made in Germany under license from the Teletype Corp.

Actually, I use it on i-Telex.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Hi Jeff,

We go way back, decades, regarding Fox's/Snit's childish rants on Usenet... o Nobody takes Snit/Fox seriously (just google for his name for reference).

Don't worry about Snit (Michael Glasser is who Fox's Mercantile really is). o He admitted it himself, years ago, when we caught him with the same IP

What I want to say is that I THANK YOU for helping the OP out. o I know there are adults on s.e.r who, like you, are knowledgeable.

The whole point of adding s.e.r and a.i.w was that the Windows group needed your expert assistance, which I, as an adult, for one, greatly appreciate.

Let's hope the OP reads your advice and takes it to heart for his problem o Adults like you can help him, and, in doing so, you help all of us.

It's what Usenet is supposed to be all about... o To that end, I include the OP's original post, verbatim, below:

o WiFi out to 800 feet

From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general Subject: WiFi out to 800 feet Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 23:28:01 -0400 Message-ID:

I didn't want to hijack the other thread but Arlen got my interest with those antennas.

If I wanted to hit a LAN based camera 800' away, what would I need to to do (clear LOS).

The objective would be to attach it to an existing security DVR that has 2 unused WiFi portals.

I am trying to avoid the cloud/phone thing but that seems to be what most of these ones I see are doing these days. I assume once they are on the network I could coax my DVR to see them.

Do I need an enhanced antenna at both ends or would the dish at the host end give me enough signal strength to talk?

Thanks

--
There are only two kinds of people on Usenet - one of whom adds value.
Reply to

No, he isn't. I've known Jeff on other newsgroups, for over 20 years.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Hi Jeff Liebermann,

These worthless pieces of shit like Fox's Mercantile are who ruin Usenet. o Not people like you and me who are purposefully helpful & who add value.

You know me since we've communicated in email, where you know I don't bullshit and that I'm always purposefully helpful in intent & detail.

As are you, where you've helped me a lot with the local WISP over the years, where you know that what I say is always intended to be helfpul.

By way of stark contrast, this proven worthless piece of shit that goes by the nym Fox's Mercantile is the opposite of both you and me.

If this worthless piece of shit Fox's Mercantile is not Snit, then he acts EXACTLY like Snit does - which is essentially the same thing in effect.

--
Proven worthless pieces of shit like Fox's Mercantile are what ruin Usenet.
Reply to

Years back, I believe in the long defunct Byte magazine, I read an article about someone who typed 8 bit ASCII while riding a bike, using 4 microswitches on each handlebar grip. I think that would one-up the Teletype terminal.

I have tried to find the article without success. The claim was that he wrote his monthly column while on vacation bicycling.

Reply to
Tim R

Most likely Steve Roberts (N4RVE):

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Archive.org has scans of all issues, along with electronics and Amateur radio magazines.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

On 10/4/20 7:59 PM, Arlen Holder wrote: [ nothing of value as usual ]

Let me know when you get tired of proving how useless you are.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Fox's Mercantile _is_ the despicable Snit (he admitted it years ago).

You can also tell he's Snit like also by how he incessantly trolls.

Like Snit, Fox's Mercantile always posts infantile ad hominem attacks.

--
Worthless pieces of shit trolls like Fox's Mercantile ruin Usenet.
Reply to

Pull your head out of your ass moron. I am NOT Snit, nor have I ever been.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Would you immature clods please take your pissing contest to private email!

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

And yet, what you do shows you're absolutely no different from Snit.

--
Fox's Mercantile, aka Snit, is the type of troll who ruins Usenet.
Reply to