tv remote w channel/timer functions?

At one point in time several yrs back, there was a tv remote that also had a channel /timer function that allowed the remote to change the tv to particular channels at particular times. You left the remote pointing at the infrared pickup on the front of the tv to change the channels at times entered. Does anyone recall or possible might anyone know of a remote control that has such functions? The reason I ask is that I am considering getting dish tv and the std tuners don't (apparently) have the ability to program channel changes at given times to alow the vcr to record . Outside of going to a dvr , can anyone think of a workaround for this perceived shortcoming? Thanks Pat

Reply to
patrick

Radio Shack sold one; maybe they still do.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

JeffM

Search Google, Jeff I cracked a rib laughing!

Thanks,

  • * * Christopher

Temecula CA.USA

christopher

I remember something like that some time ago - in fact, my Mom and Dad (RIP) had one; there was a 5-to-7 digit code listed with each show in the TV schedule; you'd type in the number, and just point it at the TV and leave it sitting there.

I can't remember the name of the thing, and I have no idea if you could put in your own dates, times, channel, etc, or only those published codes - come to think of it, I haven't seen those numbers on TV schedules for some time.

But, at least at one time, there was such a thing.

Actually, they used it on their VCR - maybe advertisers got them banned.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Are you thinking about the VCR Plus?

We had a VCR with the feature; you had to define a table of off-air/cable channel numbers versus the local TV guide channel numbers (different for every cable provider in the area). It had 5/6 digit codes that were entered to set a VCR to a specific channel at a particular time in order to record a program.

The codes were published in the local TV listings.

It's possible that the cable + satellite expansions made it obsolete.

There may also have been a remote with an internal timer & memory for doing what you ask - I just don't remember seeing one.

I can probably build you one using a universal remote and a small microprocessor for under $150 ;-)

John

ads not wizardanswers not com replace the obvious to send email

Reply to
John