Old Transistors

Does anyone know of a method of either locating or finding information about transistors that were manufactured in 1972? I am specifically interested in locating or finding info on two transistors; their codes are: 2N5809 and 2N9614. I can't seem to find any supplier that has them so I am presuming they are no longer manufactured. Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

Ron Thompson

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Can't even find them in Towers. ;-)

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

2N5809 =====

Mil Spec

Ammendment

The military stopped using them in 1999...

The above links found here

2N9614 ======

Sure that numbers right? No hits using Google is unusual. Usually someone wants to sell you the data!

Reply to
CWatters

This site

has a 2N961 (no 4 on the end). No idea if that's the same part.

Reply to
CWatters

Ron-

The 2N5809 is a small signal plastic case low noise, hi gain transistor typically by Motorola used for audio applications. I used these in the early 70's with good success. As I recall, hfe is on the order of 250, Vce about 30v. I may have one or two left.

Bryant

Reply to
bryant

Colin:

Thank you for your timely response to my inquiry and for informing me of the MilSpec website. I agree with you that maybe the code number for the other transistor is probably incorrect; unfortunately I don't know what the correct number is. Oh well.

In case you might be interested: Before I got your response I managed to locate a site that contains a world of datasheets on electronic components:

It had a list of manufacturers of the 2N5809 transistor that was in the MilSpecs. If only the other one had the correct number then I would be "home free". But I guess you just can't always get what you want!

Thanks again.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Ron

Reply to
Ron Thompson

According the to the Mil spec I posted types 2N5806 to 2N5809 are "Silicon bi-directional triode thyristor" with voltage ratings of 200-600V

Reply to
CWatters

It might help if you told us why you want to know. Repairing something? Building an old kit?

NSM

Not the exact thing, but, if used wisely, may help you for one of them.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Good question. I am wanting to construct an inexpensive biofeedback monitor. I have found an original patent from 1972 for one that works on the "galvanic skin response" principle that fits the bill. The patent number is 3648686. The patent has long since expired so there would be no problem there. All components mentioned are presently available except for the 2N9614 transistor. Perhaps someone may know of another plan for building a similar device. If so let please me know!

Ron

Reply to
Ron Thompson

monitor.

"galvanic

similar

OK.

A) Never get hung up on parts like this. You can usually substitute any similar item you can find. If it doesn't work, you just make an adjustment.

B) "Popular Electronics" magazine has had articles on this sort of thing. They even had one which read brain waves and analysed them. Your model is a simple "Lie Detector". At one time I believe Radio Shack sold something similar as a toy!

NSM

If you have a schematic that you can scan, you might want to upload it and post a link here. I, or someone else can surely determine the specs needed for the application.

Make sure it has good resolution and please don't try to post it directly, they don't like that. This is considered a "text only" newsgroup.

Anyway, another reason to see the schematic is that if the intended part was germanium some modification may be necessary to use a modern equivalent. This would mainly be in the base bias, but if the circuit needs a low saturation voltage, there are transistors that can do it.

In fact I'll see if I casn get the patent, you might not have to do anything.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly
2n5809 is a triac, but can't find any info on 2n9614

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"CWatters" bravely wrote to "All" (27 Jun 05 13:21:11) --- on the heady topic of "Re: Old Transistors"

CW> From: "CWatters" CW> Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:51657 sci.electronics.misc:19871 CW> sci.electronics.equipment:8120

CW> 2N5809 CW> =3d=3d=3d=3d=3d

CW> Mil Spec CW>

CW> 438.pdf Ammendment CW>
CW> 438am1.pdf CW> The military stopped using them in 1999... CW>
CW> oupinact.pdf

CW> The above links found here CW>

CW> 19500

CW> 2N9614 CW> =3d=3d=3d=3d=3d=3d

CW> Sure that numbers right? No hits using Google is unusual. Usually CW> someone wants to sell you the data!

I think the op might have added the 2N prefix to 9614. Look under FSC9614 or other Fairchild prefix, perhaps TCS even...

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Well I defragged my TV and went all the way back to basic cable!

Reply to
Asimov

What are they used in? If you're trying to replace them, it may be easiest to look at the circuit and guess on a suitable sub.

Reply to
James Sweet

a 2n5809 is a triac, 600v or btx94

Reply to
sideshow bob

This message is for all who have evidenced an interest.

I made a typo in my original request. One of the transistors is 2N5089 not 2N5809. This one is available from an internet supplier. Sorry!! I have also located an FSC9614 transistor. Thanks to Asimov for this tip.

So my question has been answered and I can proceed building the monitor.

Also, NSM mentioned that Radio Shack used to sell them. The reason I want to build one is because the one I originally purchased from Radio Shack has been irreparably damaged. I found the patent number in Radio Shack's brochure which I still had. An e-mail to Radio Shack produced the information that RS stopped manufacturing them in 1995.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Sounds wrong for a lie detector.

NSM

Ron-

Take another look. Could the second one be a 2N961A? I don't think the JEDEC numbers were that high in the early 70s.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie