Oil prices climb to $101.11 a barrel...

That quote is worthy of Mencken :)

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Too late, you lose.

...Jim Thompson

--
|  James E.Thompson, P.E.                                        | mens |
|  Analog Innovations, Inc.                                         | et

|  Analog/Mixed-Signal ASICK's and Discrete Systems  |    manus  |
|  Phoenix, Arizona                   Voice:(480)460-2350  |

|  E-mail Address at Website     Fax:(480)460-2142     |   Rat Bastard |
|       http://www.analog-innovations.com                    |    1962     |

    America: Land of the Freedom Abusers, Because of the Rat Bastards.

May I disagree with you?

...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASICK's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | | | E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Rat Bastard | |

| 1962 |

America: Land of the Freedom Abusers, Because of the Rat Bastards.

I don't see 5b being true. The food plants is are replaced from carbon already in the environment. If this achieves any reduction in consumption in fossil fuels, then it achieves a decrease in transfer of carbon from the lithosphere to the atmosphere, biosphere and hydrosphere.

Don Klipstein

Don't we always? :)

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

There was a paper out recently on that.

The problem not previously considered is that any food not grown here has to be replaced. That means it has to be grown somewhere else, generally under more primitive conditions (e.g. slash & burn (shudder) or just otherwise less efficiently).

Since the planting-for-biofuel barely yields more than it consumes in tractor fuel, etc., to start with, any overall loss in efficiency results in net increased emissions. So say the paper's authors, anyhow.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Summary here:

--James

Reply to
James Arthur

an

It really is a fiction, and I guess we can take that to mean people love fiction. There is, however, somebody benefiting:

Guvmint lining guvmint pockets -- who woulda ever thunk it?

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

It is very likely, the crude oil price per barrel may get up to about $120 to $140 by the mid or end of the summer. The reasons are many. This means that the price of fuel will most likely rise by at least another 20%. There are futures contracts out on crude oil for a price point of $200 per barrel by year 2010.

The price of oil is rising faster than the normal rate of inflation. This will contribute to the cost of most everything we have. The rate of infation will be difficult to keep up with.

One of the causes for all of this is from the massive out-sourcing of manufacturing in foreign countries to have lower labour cost, and from letting our society become more dependend on other countries for energy and materials.

=46rom all that is going on, North America and most of Europe will become a third world economy. We will no longer be able to afford to live at the standard of living that we are used to. It will take a very big change of attitude and the way of doing things to fix the problem.

Jerry G. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

.=AD.......................

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

350 =A0| =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

s Rat =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0| =A0 =A01962 =A0 =A0 |

Reply to
Jerry G.

So why didn't the petrol price go up 700% since oil was $15 back in

1999? As you say, the reasons are many, but one thing is for sure, petrol prices have had very little in the way of linear correlation with oil price.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

What we won't be able to afford is wasting energy as senselessly as we do now. The average USian could cut his energy use in half without extreme distress.

The main cause of the energy shortage is the fact that the Chinese, the Indians, the Africans, and the South Americans are increasing both population and per-capita energy use. Imagine if every family in India and every family in China had central heating and a car.

We have something they don't: an enormous capacity to make food.

John

A very large percentage of that capability is due to the use of nitrogenous fertilizers, manufactured from natural or petroleum gas via the Haber-Bosch process for ammonia. The Chinese make more than a quarter of the world's production, but basically - guess what - the ability to store energy in your cereal crops and in your "biofuels", comes predominantly from below the ground, not from the sun. Without fossil fertilizer, 90% of the world's production of grain would cease.

The fossil fuel crisis is first and foremost a *food* crisis, the cost of fuel for transport is just the leading edge.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

You should. You're replying to a forged message, posted through aioe.org:

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design, sci.electronics.repair Subject: Re: Oil prices climb to $101.11 a barrel... Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:30:44 -0800 Organization: Forte Inc.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So they gave the Nobel Peace Prize to a mass murderer.

John

Well, just think about the negotiation sessions:

"We have food. You have oil. Wanna do business?"

John

Don't worry. They will eat you up.

What business? What oil? The oil it what Iraq is intended for.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

What logic? What syntax?

John

John S

I don't see any logic either. If the Iraq is colonized, then why the oil is $101.11 ?

Should learn hispanic?

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

My might as well. Your 'english' doesn't make much sense.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida