obnoxious Fluke 87 V meter problem

Maybe there's some hygroscopic shmutz around the jacks. Have you thoroughly cleaned/flushed the area?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

yeah, it's clean, plus it's basically new. I've not been dragging it around a steel mill or anything like that.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

This has puzzled me ever since you first posted.

CMOS is sensitive to surface contamination -- anything that's conductive, even only slightly including water.

You might try hitting the area with freeze spray. This ought to reveal two things... First, is the problem caused simply by blowing on the board (ie, moisture has nothing to do with it). Second, the low temperature will cause moisture to condense. Does the problem occur after the spray has evaporated?

If I had access to an ultrasound bath, I'd dunk the board in an inert solvent and clean it thoroughly. If that didn't clear the problem, I'd be surprised.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I've decided not to mess with the inside of the meter itself. It's under warranty, and clearly screwing with it won't help me out in this case. The board itself looks clean- none of that white dust you see on crappy board with water based flux or whatever causes that. Just blowing on the jacks with the meter close will cause the lead error, although today it's harder as it's less humid out. Maybe there's some factory included contanmination on the PCB itself, so that the extra gigaohm of my breath is just too much for it.

I did measure the resistance of the current jack, which was about 1.8M and it changed as if there was a cap in the sense circuit. There were visible

1M resistors connected to the sense side of the current jacks.

Fluke seemed keen on getting in for repair, so we'll see what they do to it.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Please let us know. I like to hear solutions to odd problems.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck