Fluke 87 flat batteries

I have an original Fluke 87 (not 87 III, 87 IV etc) that has a rather annoying fault. If I put a new alkaline battery in, it goes flat in a month or so. This is with the meter being switched off (dial in the off position, not relying on auto-power-off) and unused. Otherwise as far as I can tell it works fine - I just can't use it very much as every time I reach for it the battery is flat. I bought it secondhand about 5 years ago, and though I haven't been using it much for the last few years I'm sure this flattening is a fairly new phenomenon.

Just wondered if anyone had seen this before? ISTR reading that some Flukes have a lifetime guarantee - is that right?

Cheers, Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Yes, but not sure how that would work since your not the original owner.

Easiest may be to wire in a toggle. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

In message , Sam Goldwasser writes

Probably wouldn't but definitely worth asking Fluke about IMHO, nothing ventured etc.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

There is something on the circuit board that is pulling too much current. The power control is done through the processor IC.

We have a number of Fluke meters including the 87 series. They last about seven months to a year between battery changes with moderate use.

To service your meter properly, you will have to send it to Fluke. They have the proper diagnostics and calibration equipment to find out what the faults are, and to make sure that the meter is properly calibrated after it is serviced.

--

JANA _____

Just wondered if anyone had seen this before? ISTR reading that some Flukes have a lifetime guarantee - is that right?

Cheers, Theo

Reply to
JANA

Theo Markettos schrieb:

30 days x 24 hrs = 720 hours If we assume 500mAh-600mAh capacity (alkaline) it draws a current of 500/720= 0.7 mA. This the nearly the same as in ON state.

Yes, but... AFAIK not the old 87, 3 Year Limited Warranty (but may depend on the serial number). And AFAIK with the newer stuff, Fluke wants a proof of ownership and You to be the first owner AND the Instrument bought from an authorized seller only.

I measured with my old 87: Input shorted (COM/V)

0.86mA/V~ 0.73mA/V= 0.73mA/mV= 0.79mA/Ohms 1.34mA/Diode 0.73mA/mA= 0.85mA/mA~ 0.73mA/µA= 0.85mA/µA~

28.6mA/V= Backlight ON

0.279mA in SLEEP State 0.0075 mA/OFF (should last 7-8 Years)

This values are measured right after power on. After a while the current changes after leaving the switch at V=:

0.91mA toggles 0.82mA/0.91mA No idea why...

You can DL the IM of the 87II which should be not very different, but does not contain the schematics. May be You should clean the PCB and switch contacts...

Check Q8 Power on/off device (Si N-DMOS FET, SOT-23) C32 0.1µF/25V and may be: CR4 1N4007 CR3 BAV99 C35 4.7µF

Peter

Reply to
Peter Matler

Update Sleep State is 0.363mA