Dead Fluke 37 meter

I found an old Fluke 37 meter which appears dead. Some initial measuring tells me that there is some life inside it, power seems to get where it should etc. but the display is empty at all times. I got no repair manual for it. Any pointers, links or help in some way? Digital isn't really my bag but with a bit more info I could perhaps troubleshoot it. Fluke doesn't list it on their site anymore, so no luck there. Thanks for any help. Martin

Reply to
Martin Norberg

I don't know where you were looking ... but that statement is incorrect.

The Fluke 37 Operating manual (924 KB Adobe Acrobat) is on the Fluke US web site (Support -> Manuals -> 37)

The Fluke 37 has 3 internal fuses as well as a battery inside its case. Have you checked the fuses or battery to see if they are good?

Battery replacement instructions are on page 10 of Fluke 37 manual (downloaded from above)

Testing of the 3 fuses is also covered on page 11.

BTW, IF you have a bad fuse - replace it with a properly rated Fluke fuse (voltage ratings, etc.) These fuses are readily available from WW Granger as well as Fry's Electronics (Outpost.com)

Tech Recovery still sells used versions of the Fluke 37 for around $100 Sphere has 2 of them for $200 each.

BTW -- Fluke repair almost every item they made - a few are difficult due to parts availability. A telephone call or e-mail the Fluke support/repair department will get an quick RMA number. They repaired a Fluke 87 that was in bad shape (that I picked up for $ 5 .. for significantly less (< $100) than buying a new one ($395)

g. beat

Reply to
gb

Well, an operating manual isn't going to get me very far, is it? I downloaded it and read it but it doesn't say anything about repairing the unit. I mean like in checking the ICs, where to find test points and interpreting the results etc. There were however service manuals for other DMMs. Is there another model with similar intestines that has a compatible manual?

Yes on all accounts, as soon as I laid my hands on it...

Interesting, I didn't know it was still this valuable. Anyone else who has repaired Flukes of this vintage here? Still looking for tips or maybe a scan of the service manual for Fluke 37 meters. Thanks, Martin

Reply to
Martin Norberg

Hello, Martin! You wrote on Sun, 06 Nov 2005 22:40:27 GMT:

MN> I found an old Fluke 37 meter which appears dead. Some initial MN> measuring tells me that there is some life inside it, power seems to MN> get where it should etc. but the display is empty at all times. I got MN> no repair manual for it. Any pointers, links or help in some way? MN> Digital isn't really my bag but with a bit more info I could perhaps MN> troubleshoot it. Fluke doesn't list it on their site anymore, so no MN> luck there. MN> Thanks for any help. MN> Martin

I seem to remember something about an issue with the displays on these old flukes going bad (Loss of contrast) something to do with the actual liquid crystal . Shine a light on the display and see if you can make out a reading.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
3T39

Good point, the Fluke 87 LCD is no longer made - BUT when they repaired mine - they replaced it (and its backlight) with the current LCD used in the

87 Series V

The new display is better than the original -- Crisp easy to read.

a-fluke has an eBay store, for a number of Fluke items

Better yet, call or e-mail Fluke. Ask for Jim in Fluke's Service Center -- Everett, WA -- should be able to address your Fluke 37 request. 1.. 1-888-99-FLUKE (1-888-993-5853) 2.. snipped-for-privacy@fluke.com

Reply to
gb

Ok, well, mine is a 37 - or was it a typo, did you mean that 37 and 87 displays are the same?

Thanks, great link.

Sorry, forgot to say that I'm in Europe, so US phone numbers are of little help. I did email the local branch (.se) but no replies so far, probably because nobody bothered with something this old.

The battery drops from 9,1v to 8,5v or so when I swith the meter on. This crude test should indicate that a)there is a moderate current draw and b)the circuitry isn't a dead short - possibly the actual metering works fine although the display is dead.

So, how does an LCD work? And: *How do I test it and the mystery chip that drives it?* (I have an old Tek scope and other meters around.)

Martin

Reply to
Martin Norberg

No, no reading. Tried looking from every angle. I also took the panel apart, cleaned the tinned PCB contacts that the conductive elastomer sits on, but no go. (in cell phones however, moisture or dirt gets in, then the display dies, and this treatment cures it in most cases)

Martin

Reply to
Martin Norberg

Mr Test Equipment offers a comprehensive test equipment repair services.

Unlike some of the manufacturers, we offer a no-charge, no-obligation evaluation of broken test equipment.

We issue no-cost, no-obligation repair quotations for current, obsolete and out-of-support test equipment from quality manufacturers like Agilent (HP), Tektronix, Anritsu, Marconi, Acterna, R&S, Fluke, etc.

All we ask is that you handle the DHL, FedEx or UPS shipment charges ?to and from?.

Simply send us the broken equipment, and we will offer our evaluation and repair quote at no cost.

Please contact us for more information at snipped-for-privacy@mrtestequipmment.com, or call 905 274 6200

Kind Regards

Stephen Hopkins Mr Test Equipment Phone 905-274-6200 E-mail snipped-for-privacy@mrtestequipment.com

mrtestequipment

No, referred to 87 (whcih is about the same age)

No problem Fluke's World Wide web site you can choose region and country for support.

Swedish web page

Hope these help !

G. Beat

Reply to
gb

Service och kalibrering av Flukes produkter utföres av Caltech AB. För prisinformation eller andra service- och kalibreringsfrågor, ring 08-53

470 340 eller skicka ett mail till:

snipped-for-privacy@caltech.se

Alternativt skicka in ditt instrument direkt med en felbeskrivning till:

Caltech AB Fågelviksvägen 7

145 53 Norsborg
Reply to
gb

"mrtestequipment" wrote in message news:48Wdne0SOMvCru_eRVn snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Good luck with that.

You'll be spending lots of downtime diagnosing all kinds of worthless junk for which the owner won't be willing to pay your repair quote. TV shops learned this lesson long ago, ultimately resulting in an industry-wide policy of up-front, flat diagnostic fees which are refundable with the repair job. It has a way of keeping the freeloader trash out.

I presume you aren't offering NIST-traceable calibration for USA customers. Most owners of premium test gear prefer that the manufacturer perform this calibration, which means they'll likely also have the unit repaired by the manufacturer first, if necessary.

Sorry if I seem negative, but your type of business is difficult enough to begin with. It's only made worse by giving away services.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts