Case or pouch for Fluke 87 + probes?

I've got a new 87 and I want to get a protective case for it.

Fluke wants $35 for what amounts to a piece of pleather and a zipper.

Let's just say I don't want to pay it, and leave it at that.

Who can come up with a cross-purpose case (ie, made for PSP or Wii or such) that will work for an 87 and a few sets of test probes that's either cheaper or has more features (extra pockets? more padding? hard shell?) than the Fluke for the same $$ ?

It's thinking beanie time!

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

Drill in on the Pelican Cases and look around. I saw a case for an Ipod.

Reply to
E=MC2

Have a look at makeup/toilet bags. Or perhaps give your wife the dimensions and ask her to. ;-) Other possibility is outdoor purses or wallets - the sort of thing climbers or cyclists etc might wear.

--
*The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But the night is still young. ;-)

Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I use the velvet bags that a small bottle of Chivas Regal comes in. It makes me look neat and tidy and a fancy drinker.

So far I only have two of them.

Reply to
mm

This is looking good:

If I can learn to like the red, $10.

But I like the suggestion of a hand-made custom case made by a cottage industry.

Reply to
DaveC

Dave

When my daughter needed a case for her digital camer she went to a nice WalMart and they had a great selection. How big or large is the fluke 87?

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

8.25" x 4" x 2.25"

Plus room for a few sets of test probes.

Reply to
DaveC

I'm sure you can find something wandering around the local purse department of your local store. Lots of extra pockets for storing probes, clamp-on ampsguesser, spare fuses, Hi-V probe, etc. However, it will probably cost more than the stock case. So, try the local thrift shop. They usually have a box of old purses.

I've had to make my own cases a few times. I usually start with heavy cotton canvas or calendared waterproof canvas. Old tent and upholstery scrap will also work. For padding, I sometimes include a sheepskin layer (or just bubble pack). If I want it to last, I sew it together with a sewing machine. (I was a mechanic at my fathers lingerie factory). If I'm in a rush or the material is too thick to sew effectively, I glue it together with contact cement and plenty of pressure with a wood clamps. For closure, forget about using snaps and just glue on some Velcro.

If you're really cheap and lazy, cut a piece of 2x4 (wood) to approximately the size of your Fluke 87. Add scrap wood to build up lumpy areas. Find something about the same volume as the probes. Wrap in cellophane plastic. That's your mold form. You have many options:

  1. Make a 2 part plaster of Paris casting and you'll have a very heavy, rugged, cheap, and strong case. Put hinges on it the two halves to make it look professional. Urethane foam (or fence post compound) can also be used. For extra strength, use concrete mix.
  2. Cover the wood mold with plastic, plastic weave cloth, blue tarp material, or whatever material you can find. Slop some glue on top to hold it in place. Don't worry about being neat here. Add some foam rubber of padding. Cover the foam with a neat looking cloth or plastic outer cover. Use contact cement to hold it together.
  3. Find a wood shop that has a pattern tracer. Give them the simulated wooden Fluke 87 and have them gouge you out a 2 part case with hinges. Use green felt for wear protection. If the shop wants too much money to for the pattern tracing job, do it yourself with a router.
  4. You can also build a suitable box out of heavy duty corrugated box cardboard. Not the stuff you find behind the market, but the really heavy duty industrial strength stuff. Make an outline pattern to follow with the Fluke 87. Get a razor knife, cut a hole in each sheet of cardboard, and build up a box to surround the Fluke 87, gluing the layers together. Green felt should make it look presentable.

Anyway, if you can't use your wallet to protect your DVM, use your imagination.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I always kept mine in a Fluke C20 hard case. There is a storage compartment built into the case and you can kick them around quite a bit without damaging them.

Reply to
[SMF]

But it's not an 87 is it?

I like the small-ish size of the C20. But the one that fits the 87 is closer to a full-on suitcase.

Reply to
DaveC

Targus used to make a good selection of such cases very inexpensive. I have been unable to find aything to carry my Palm Pilot on my belt for several years.... Good Luck! John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

It is made for the Fluke 87, or the meters that have the same footprint.

Reply to
[SMF]

If you aren't able to find something suitable for meter storage/protection at retail or flea market, thrift shops, try a place that has military new/surplus items.

There are a lot of rugged portable, belt or strap held utility pouches and ammo or tool holder type pouches. Many milsurp places have new items that were made for actual mil issue, but there are also a lot of China stuff looky-like real products, too.

I bought some new, heavy duty pouches, velcro closure, large belt loop/handle and a small D-ring on the back, water resistant material.. labeled 1964 French Ammo Pouch. The interior had 3 vertical dividers that I cut out, which leaves an open cavity that's ideal for a handheld DMM-sized instrument and a couple of sets of test leads. The overall size is about 9.5" x 4.5" x 2", price was $5.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Dave-

I found a set of three small Craftsman canvas zippered bags at Sears in the tool department. Product number 9-48426 for $11.99. The three are slightly different, and one might be suitable for your meter.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

h)

per

Bet you wish your were a kangaroo about now..... ;)

Reply to
Sansui Samari