Not really repair but.....

But probably something that you guys would know.

How do I get WIN2000 to retain mapped network drives after reboot without error messages if the remote system is off?

I know you can answer "yes" and "don't show any other error messages" (or something along those lines) when it complains but I don't want to see the error messages or have to respond to them at all. In Win98 there is something called "quick login" for the Client for Microsoft Network which bypasses the attempt at boot time. But it doesn't appear to be present for WIN2000. Here is Win95/98/ME info:

on this topic.

Sorry for the off-topic post. :)

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

But probably something that you guys would know.

How do I get WIN2000 to retain mapped network drives after reboot without error messages if the remote system is off?

I know you can answer "yes" and "don't show any other error messages" (or something along those lines) when it complains but I don't want to see the error messages or have to respond to them at all. In Win98 there is something called "quick login" for the Client for Microsoft Network which bypasses the attempt at boot time. But it doesn't appear to be present for WIN2000. Here is Win95/98/ME info:

on this topic.

Sorry for the off-topic post. :)

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Hi Sam...

Go to Windows explorer - tools - map network drive. There you'll find a list of all the mapped drives.

For each of them there'll be a check box beside "reconnect at log on" Un-check each of them.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

something

Hi.

Doesn't that just mean that they will disappear totally the next time?

If you uncheck that similar box when mapping the drives, I believe that's what happens.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Hi Sam...

Nope, it just means that windows won't check them when it boots. They'll still work exactly as before, except they won't be checked until you actually try to access them.

Give it a try, let me know how it works :)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

something

Tried that. They already were unchecked. But when booting, it tried to restore them anyway and produced errors at boot. When I said "Do not restore in the future", the drive letters disappeared.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

something

According to

there may be no solution in WIN2000 that eliminates the error message.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

something

the

That works in Win95/98/ME but Client for Microsoft Networks does not have the "quick login" option in my version at least of WIN2000! Arrrrrgh :( :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Hi Sam, would this be of use?

You could create a .cmd script (batch file to you oldbies) to re-connect your drive(s) that would initiated from a shortcut placed on your desktop. In addition, turning off the re-connect at logon would allow your PC to boot faster, especially if the drives you connect to aren't yet ready to be accessed.

Reply to
JW

Unfotunately, that article also doesn't address the error message issue.

This would be a soluteion if only I knew something about .cmd format!

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

You'd need to turn off re-connection at logon, that way there'd be no error message, Sam.

It's just a text file you create using notepad. They're the Windows equivalent to an MS-DOS based .bat file. Are you familiar with those? Take the first example they give you: net use d: \\BigServer\DataFiles

Open Notepad, paste or type the text "net use d: \\BigServer\DataFiles" then save the file in plain text - instead of naming it "whatever.txt", name it "whatever.cmd" and save it to your desktop. Clicking on the icon will now connect you to your drives.

Reply to
JW

But then they are not accessible anymore - the red crossed out drives don't appear and the path is no longer there.

That worked great. Thank you!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser
[...]

You're welcome!