simple but not working - help !

Hi all,

I have a creative surroundsound system connected to my computer. A few days ago the adapter stopped working. So i bought a new adapter with the same specs.

Original adapter: 12V AC , 4.2A max New adapter : 12V AC , 6A max

I took the plug and connected the 2 wires from the new adapter to the plug, brown and blue wire. Then i shielded them with special tape.

When i plug into the subwoofer i get alot of noise through all speakers, sounds like tearing alot of paper. So i quickly unplugged it.

Now guys, what did i do wrong ?

If for example the new adapter outputs not 12V but 13.8V ... could that be causing this problem ?

Thank you for any advise !

Reply to
sparhawk

Could it be that the old adaptor stoppped working because there is a fault with the speakers which is overloading the new adaptor, or , are you sure the old adaptor was AC and nor DC?

Ron

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system

Hello Ron,

Trust me, i triple checked and got the original even here on my desk.

By the way, this is the link to the creative set i have with some specifications:

The new adapter is not one of those heavy ones but rather uses electronic components to do its job. Dunno if that might be a problem.

Reply to
sparhawk

That doesn't sound like an AC output adaptor. They MUST use a heavy transformer. Can you post the label for the new supply?

Reply to
NSM

Hi !

This the information of the new supply:

(translated)

E.611955 - AC powersupply 12V-75W AC powersupply / Halogeen Transformer - 12 Volt - 75 Watt.

Input: 230 Volt output: 12 Volt ac - max. 75 Watt

What you think ? This one is very light compared to the original in weight, but that is because it uses electronic components to do the job or so.

Reply to
sparhawk

Yes it could be, a cheap switch mode psu might produce a lot of hash that the amplifier doesn`t appreciate.

Ron

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ron(UK)

Hold on.. do they actually make ac to ac switch mode psu`s? A quick scan through a large electronics supply catalogue doesn`t show any.

Ron

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ron(UK)

If that is a switcher, take it back and get a real transformer.

There's all sorts of switching noise that's not going to be filtered by a typical amplifier.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Sure, but it is meant to power halogeen bulbs, not an amplifier. Lamps are not critical for waveform and frequency but the rectifier and regulator of your amplifier are. The electronics you mention consist of a high frequency switcher and I should not be astonished the 12VAC it produces to be some tenth of kHz and far from sinusoidal.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Ah, when you said electronic components I wondered if you were trying to use a halogen transformer. Those don't put out 50 (or 60) Hz, they're more like a triac light dimmer. I'm very surprised you didn't get smoke and fireworks when you plugged in the speakers. You need a magnetic transformer, not a switchmode lamp regulator.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yes. Do not use this. Find a good solid AC transformer type. A lamp is a resistive load and can run off many different sources that can fry your system.

Reply to
NSM

Guys, thanks alot for the good advise and your time !

I'm going to bring this thing back and get a normal transformer (no halogeen stuff). I hope i can find an ac - ac transformer, else i'll have to see if i can get one from creative itself.

Thanks again !

Reply to
sparhawk

Those halogen "transformers" are pretty useful for other things, if you wire one to a car ignition coil you can get some pretty decent sparks.

Reply to
James Sweet

Maplin's or similar? Maybe even Radio Shack?

Reply to
NSM