Bad CD Repair?

I have a truck repair manual on CDR which I've used only a dozen times. I didn't make a back up as I use this infrequently. No visible defects except for possibly a small "bubble" next to the spindel hole and well inside the data area. Otherwise, seems clean as a whistle. ["Lead Data, Inc." mfg the CD]

Today, it won't read. CD Diagnostics reports a gross % of soft errors on one PC and another PC won't even recognize the disc.

Nero copy mode shows errors and stalls out.

I guess I'll need to buy another.

But, just wondering, any ideas on if this might be salvagable? How? The failure itself disturbs me as I never thought a CD would fail so secretly. Any comments on why this happened might be enlightening.

Thank you.

Thanks.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Reply to

I should have added one more fact:

This CDR has a paste-on lable. Looks very professional but could the glue have done this over a 1 year period?

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Reply to

Yes. The label side on some CD-Rs is very fragile.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

More than likely, especially if its one of the cheap 'silver' CDRs without any protection over the aluminium layer. I've had the same thing happen to me before now.

Reply to
Ivor Floppy

Assuming this is a commercial product, try complaining to the supplier. Chances are if it happened to you, it's happened to others. Maybe you can get a replacement.

Dan

Ivor Fl>

Reply to
Dan

I'm getting the feeling programs will come out on cheap non volatile USB sticks someday. Maybe those will be more reliable, but then again I guess there will be a 50 pack for $ 5.00 and here we go again with the same old problem "Cheap Media".

Reply to
Bill Degener

They won't, optical media is so cheap, so is bandwidth, so a lot of software will be downloaded over the web. You will only see USB for high copy protection/user authentication.

Reply to
Gary J Tait

Yes. I have some "Lead Data" CDRs. All about 6 years from point of purchase and burning. The labelled ones have died, the unlabelled ones are fine. All are "bare top" disks (lacquered, but not painted).

By "died" I mean audio disks scritch and scratch from half way through to unplayable at the end. Nero CD-DVD Speed reports C1 errors in spades from the word go, increasing across the disc. C2 errors (more serious) start occurring early on, and ramp up to the outside of the disk.

This leads me to believe that they are not very robust (compared with painted disks). The labels are the correct CD labels, applied with a Pressit Kit. The CD-Rs are fine when not labelled. The combination of the two is just not good ...

I don't label CD-Rs anymore. It's just too much risk to look "flashy" :)

Considering the risk of accidental detachment of the label, along with accidental detachment of your data, and the penalty of destroying your nice shiny 16xDVD writer, is it worth it?

Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Reply to
Mike