nomad 425sxl

I am using the subject laptop to read temperatures out of a cistern and to control the temperature (eventurally). My access to the innerds of the computer went caput when the floppy quit working. So 2 questions: 1) The floppy looks like it should come out. Anybody have any suggestions on how. I pulled the little cover off but it beats me how the drive comes out. 2) I would like to use the 25 pin port (nominally the printer port) as a connector to an electronic device like a disk so I can get away from the floppy. Anybody ever seen anything like this?

George

Reply to
george

If you happen to be runing windows on this maching, you can use direct cable connection to connect two computers with a null-modem cable with the serial ports or the LPT printer ports.

Example

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Michael

Great idea. Unfortunately the nomad has windows3.1 on it so no joy there. Thanks.

George

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Reply to
george

Michael

Second appreciation. After your hint on direct connections I found interlnk and intersvr in dos that allows parallel port connections with laplink cables. Going to get the cable off of ebay. It does appear that the parallel port cable (laplink) is not the same as the null modem that is used on serial connections.

George

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Reply to
george

Oh yeah I forgot all about interlnk, that brings back some memories. That should work for you without too many problems if your good at using dos.

I guess that they have a different name for a null modem parallel cable, but the concept is just the same as with a serial cable. What is different about the null modem cable from a regular cable is that the pins are not connected to the same wires on each end.. For instance pin 1 on one end might be connected to pin 5 on the other end. This is so that the TX (send) pair goes to a RX (recieve) pair on the other end just like with a twisted pair ethernet cable.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy