New Printer Won't Print

I just bought a "re-certified"/refurbished HP Laserjet 6P laser printer, that annoyingly didn't come with a manual. I figured I could hack a printer, but when I put paper in the bottom front tray and the orange light by the lightning bolt lights up but the printer does absolutely nothing, I am at a bit of a loss here. Can anybody tell me what that top orange light means and do I have a problem I can fix? I like HP printers and I'd really hate to have to send it back. Thanks.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Go to the HP site, and see if you can download the user manual. You will have to search out their site. If you cannot find it, then contact HP directly to see if you can obtain it somehow.

Start at this web page for HP 6P information:

JANA _____

Ron

Reply to
JANA

Did you install the driver?

Reply to
Don Bowey

Every HP I owned has the paper feed issue, but you can get a free kit from HP to correct it. Obviously your paper isn't feeding.

Reply to
Sarah

Yes, can you give us more details? You say 'printer does nothing'. What does the computer do when you print? No error message like 'printer not detected'? Sounds like the power light is on. Is there a button that says 'On Line'? Might be a light next to that. If not lit, press On Line button.

What operating system are you using? Most windows OS's will detect the new printer IF:

1) cable is connected 2) printer is turned on 3) restart computer

your machine should see it and walk you through the driver load.

Good luck.

Reply to
Michael Ware

"Ron" wrote in news:1137227165.895607.150750 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

How is it connected? USB, Parallel?

Reply to
Harry Hamilton

In addition to all the other stuff folks mentioned you failed to supply: Is there a toner cartridge in it?

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

Now that's the problem, I think: since I'm not the least bit familiar with the insides of the 6P and don't have a manual, I'm not 100 per cent sure that there's a crtridge there. But I suspect I may have to go and buy one. Thanks.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

If it's a laser printer and it was shipped with a cartridge in it, you'd be experiencing the mother of all toner spills ... most lasers come with a warning that it must kept horizontal at all times, and the cartridge comes *out* to ship it! Shipping it anywhere with a cartridge in, for obvious reasons, voids the warranty.

Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Reply to
Mike

dont know where the orginal post it but here is a place to get the manuals for the printer.

just scroll down neart the bottom and the 6P is there.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

None of those links seem to work?

Try this one, directly from the HP website:

M.Joshi
Reply to
M.Joshi

Thanks for the link, but I was already there. They had service manuals (and only for the 5P), but no user manual for either the 5P or the 6P.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

You would think for a very popular workhorse printer, somebody would have the User's Manual in one form or another. You would think, and you'd be wrong; there's no User's Manual anywhere. Knowing about the printer language is rather worthless when you can't even figure out how many trays there are how they are loaded.

Ron

Reply to
Ron