Laserjet 1020 printer update.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions.

I wrote a letter to HP's Australian head office and told them the whole story. Even though my printer's technically out of warranty, they're going to swap it with a refurbished one at no charge, and are sending the replacement out by courier.

I reckon that's pretty good service. :-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

I'd say....

Contrary to many experiences detailed in this forum, I've had pretty good luck with HP's printer tech support here in the States.

Some of their products, OTOH....

The junk 3200M, that I mentioned in reply to your plea for parts, was called upon just this week to sacrifice another of it's bits to revive one of my two working units. The BIOS had become corrupted (again). I get a Service Error 72 when this happens. In fact, my initial contact with Support was over this very issue. They overnighted me two replacement BIOS SIMMs for my $25 support call.

Now one of those has died. The printer's working fine now, but....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Good to see a happy ending. This sort of result from a manufacturer makes it worthwhile paying a few bob extra for their product.

Reply to
APR

Nice work Bob!

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

| | I wrote a letter to HP's Australian head office and told them the | whole story. Even though my printer's technically out of warranty, | they're going to swap it with a refurbished one at no charge, and are | sending the replacement out by courier. | | I reckon that's pretty good service. :-)

Great service often makes up for a severely inferior product. HP LaserJet / Canon engine laser printers, b/w & colour are absolute junk, cheap rubbish made to an absolute bottom dollar price, with laughable print quality to prove it. Inconsistent dull grey blacks that get lighter and lighter as soon as 50% of the toner cartridge life is reached, inconsistent colours, mismatching colours, slow print controllers with no possibility of high speed colour matching external controllers such as EFI Fierys. Toys, not tools.

Reply to
TPr

For sure, professional laser printers designed for high-volume commercial use will leave a cheap little printer like the LJ1020 for dead. But it's fine for the couple of pages per day I use it for, to make invoices etc where print quality isn't critically important. I'm just impressed that HP were prepared to do the right thing, even though it's no longer under warranty and I told them I've taken it apart to see what the problem is. Lots of companies would say, "You must be joking, go away."

Reply to
Bob Parker

I have a 6MP that has not missed a beat in the 11-12 years I have had it. It has printed faultlessly in the humidity of northern Qld where other laser printers have fallen down, and other than needing toner from time to time has not demonstrated any reduction in print quality until the toner is as good as empty. Handles paper well and print quality is excellent, what more can I say?

If you want to ridicule the product please don't generalise. Specify the model you had your experience with. Did someone specify a product that wasn't meant for the activity it was put to? Did you buy a cheap colour laser printer expecting it to manage a 60,000 page/month duty cycle?

Reply to
APR

Well said!

Friday

Reply to
Friday

APR spake thus:

My 2100 MP has also performed nearly flawlessly for me, and I don't see any of the "inconsistent dull grey blacks" someone up above complained about. In fact, I've had it about 6 years now and am still waiting to replace the toner cartridge (I have a brand-new one bought with the printer sitting here). Getting the extra-cost PostScript version was well worth it.

The one thing I do fault HP printers for is their piss-poor paper feeding. All of the Laserjets that I've used over the years will usually refuse to print on the back of printed sheets; the page will most likely end up crumpled and wrinkled inside the printer, requiring you to open it up and extricate it. As opposed to the monster Panasonic laser printer my company used to have: while it was nothing special in the printing department, that printer would feed absolutely any paper stock you put in it without fail, including badly-curled sheets. The HPs are so finicky that if the paper has the slightest curl, it simply won't feed.

And HP did have very good customer service: when I bought my printer in

2000, the one they sent was misassembled and had an inoperative paper eject roller; when I called them, they immediately issued a RMA and sent a replacement which arrived before I was able to send mine back.
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

The company where I'm working has a Laserjet 6P which gets a thrashing. Many times when I walk past, it's printing a pile of documents for one of the 20 people working there. As far as I know, all it ever gets is more paper and toner. I've never had any problem with print quality when I've printed out data sheets etc. That was one of the main reasons I went for a small HP laser printer for myself, to get away from the expense, slowness and poor reliability of inkjets.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Well the replacement printer turned up as planned and seems to work perfectly, and I'm happy now. :)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker