New ESR meter from Peak

The folks at Peak Electronics have just released their new ESR60 tester. This unit gives you not only ESR but also value. It is protected from charged caps and fits in the palm of your hand.

AnaTek is the only distributor handling this nifty tester in the US.

See more at

John The Electronic Repair Center at

Professional electronic repair discussion at

John Bachman

It looks very interesting. But does it really turn itself off after a mere 10 seconds, or is that a misprint?

Cheers, Bob

John Bachman wrote:

Reply to
Bob Parker

Heck, I thought the 2 minute (or whatever) off delay of your ESR meter was often too short. :)

Wouldn't going to an LCD display greatly extend battery life so this wouldn't be such an issue?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Howdy Sam, I had the same thoughts. I've downloaded the .pdf file from the Peak website, and it's not a misprint. Also the Peak meter appears to have alligator clips hard-wired to the meter in a Kelvin measurement configuration. Most techs I've been in contact with want normal probes for testing caps in circuit. Maybe preferences have changed over time....?

Rgds, Bob

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

Reply to
Bob Parker

The poor quality of their webpage does not inspire confidence.

NSM

HeHeHe... You just have to accomodate all types. :)

I dislike any test instrument with hard-wired probes!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

On my benches I have several brands of ESR meters....

*CapWizard *Bob Parker kit *ESD CapAnalyser 88A The one that most of my techs grab first is the CapAnalyzer 88A because it has the "one hand" tweezer probes that handle most pc mounted radial electrolytics.... and because the 88A has "automatic" capacitor discharge and variable DC resistance testing as part of the automatically starting test cycle.... most testing can be done with one hand so that the other hand can hold the PC board etc.. When wider spacing capacitor contacts need to be tested then we grab the Bob Parker meter which was our very first ESR meter.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

excessive

is

Reply to
sofie

Peak's range of intelligent test instruments has an excellent reputation, regardless of their website. Have you ever seen the "official" page for the Dick Smith ESR meter? Really amateurish! :)

Cheers, Bob

"NSM" wrote:

Reply to
Bob Parker

As soon as I get back from vacation I intend to see if the tweezer probes that Peak offers for their other meters will also work with the ESR meter.

That would seem to satisfy all comers if it works. I will let you know.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

John, These work very well with Bob's meter, although a bit expensive.

-- Tony Marsillo Nutmeg Repair

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

The Aussie one or the John's Jukes one?

NSM

The "official" web page is the Aussie one at

(which I have to admit is my embarrassing creation).....

Bob

"NSM" wrote:

Reply to
Bob Parker

Well mate, that's what you get when you design with a wet wombat. Looks like a handyman built Queensland sleepout.

NSM

Yep, it's built for information, not good looks. :)

Bob

"NSM" wrote:

Reply to
Bob Parker

Further reading shows that it only reads up to a maximum of 10 ohms of ESR. Other ESR meters will read to 100 ohms or more. Many small caps can read over 10 ohms and still be quite OK.

Bob Parker wrote:

Reply to
Bob Parker

Hi all,

My first visit here and I'm very interested in your comments.

I'm the designer of the Peak Atlas ESR (Model ESR60) and I am keen t take on board people's suggestions and/or critisisms.

I'm also the designer of our website, what are poeple's thoughts an why do you feel that it does not inspire confidence? Our site "evolves over time as and when "free" time becomes available so I don't know i people still feel the same??

Anyway, I'm really pleased to take part in these discussions. Good t see some familiar names like Bob Parker and John Bachmann too! Hi :-)

Cheers for now,

Jez Siddons

PS. Forgot to add, I guess the web page in question i

Jeresid
Reply to
Jeresid

Dont see anything wrong there(unless the complainer wants popping and rotating logo's)-)-)-) Looks mean and clean(forgot to check out your product).

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I'm not sure what he's talking about. The Peak web page looks great, as does the instrument.

Reply to
mc

Nothing wrong with that site, he must be on something!!

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull
Reply to

Looks fine to me and works well on a basic browser without all the bells and whistles MS seem to insist on...

--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to