What is Peak to Peak?

"Harry Dellamano" wrote in message news:SovMd.1629$wc.622@trnddc07...

5uS later a negative 5V peak pulse repeating every

width times. Is the peak to peak value 5V or 10V?

The long name of the concept is "absolute value of positive peak minus negative peak".

How you choose your peaks is up to you.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

10v

Reply to
TCS

Let's say you have a 100KHz waveform which contains a positive 5V peak pulse, 5uS later a negative 5V peak pulse repeating every 5uS to form 100KHz repetition rate.. The pulses have 10nS rise, fall and pulse width times. Is the peak to peak value 5V or 10V?

TIA, Harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

It's still 10V. Take your period before the waveform repeats and then take the peak minimum and maximum voltages.

Reply to
TCS

Ok, we all agree it is 10V. Now let's say that when the 5V pulses return to zero they overshoot by one volt then return to the zero baseline. Is the peak to peak now 10 volts or does the overshoot now reduce it to 6V?

Harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

~~~~~~~~

You seem to be wriggling for some reason Harry. :)

Trouble is, you used the critical word "waveform" in your original post.

You might argue that the peak-peak voltage of each individual pulse is 6V, but the peak-peak voltage of the *waveform* still has to be 10V.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

Oh Tony, you are so correct. Wriggling with a supplier. Your waveform vs. pulse explanation cannot be denied so let's put this one to bed and move on to FTL. Highest regards, Harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

Darn...another keyboard ruined by coffee. Thanks for the laugh, anyway. It was worth it!

(rant chorus) You forgot the old standby which occurs about 2 weeks after your excuse #1:

"Payment is held up -- you sent us duplicate invoices." "You're net 180 and counting, I sent you a copy of the bill. It's not a second invoice. That's marked clearly, and the copy is watermarked "COPY -- NOT ORIGINAL" on the bottom of the invoice in 36 point type." "We have to have payables straighten this out -- we'll get back to you."

This is good for stretching net 150 out to net 2.4E2 or so. And when you're using scientific notation to estimate payment date, it's not a good sign. (end of rant)

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Sno-o-o-o-ort! ROTFLMAO! So true... the joys of self-employment.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Sounds almost like the three lies of the American businessman:

1. "The check's in the mail.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Paying for the privilege, eh ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

My invoices go out at FTL, but the speed of the return can be quite slow. The customer claims that M is so large that it requires far too much E to square the aCcount. :)

The excuses can be legion......

"We have not received your invoice. Please send a copy."

"The person who signs the cheques is away, sick."

"The person who signs the cheques is away, on a course."

"The person who signs the cheques is away, on holiday."

"We have sent you a cheque, but it must have got lost in the post. We will send you another, but there will be a delay, because procedure requires that we receive the confirmation of cancellation before another cheque can be issued." That one is a well-used delaying tactic.

"We have not received internal confirmation that the goods have been delivered."

"..... but there *are* the goods, you are looking at them."

"..... but procedure requires that we receive internal written confirmation that the goods have been delivered."

"..... but you are looking at the bloody goods, there they are."

And worst of all was the UK MoD(PE), equivalent to the US DoD. Who paid the money ok, but then demanded it back, (with menaces), not because they hadn't received the goods, but because some precious internal 'pink slip' had not found its way to the correct civil service dept.

/rant over.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

I read in sci.electronics.design that Tony Williams wrote (in ) about 'What is Peak to Peak?', on Mon, 7 Feb 2005:

I did some work for a very large British company, formerly a government arm, and THEY invoiced ME for the work I'd done.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

In article ,