New meter! :-)

Hi! I'm an italian student and I'm searching a new meter for my hobby. In this moment, I'm trying to repair a monitor, but I sometimes repair bike, sometimes I work in the electric euipment of cars, etc. So, I'm searching a meter (not too expensive... I'm a student!), and I'm looking for Meterman meters. What do you thing about this meter? They are a little bit cheaper than Fluke..Can you indicate me a model, for my uses (...I think, general purpose...)? I was looking for "38xr" meterman...what do you think about this?

Thank you a lot, and sorry for my bad english! :-)

Reply to
Starflex

In article , snipped-for-privacy@XXX.XX (known to some as Starflex) scribed...

A "cheap" meter may work well enough for student stuff, but I would go for a Fluke as soon as you can afford it (and you may be able to find a used one on That Auction Site).

Trust me, your english is better than some of my fellow Americans! ;-)

Keep the peace(es).

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

Uhmm.. I've already two "chineses" meter (veery cheap)...but in some applications (es, monitor repair) they gave a different value...so I was looking for a new, more affordable (but also more exensive!) meter.. I was looking also for an used Fluke one, but my fear is to find a meter that is out of calibration, caused by a previous, improper, use....

LOL! Thank you! :-)

Reply to
Starflex

I'm not surprised. I have a cheap one and it reads 10% low on the voltage scale when the batteries get low. The LCD has a low battery annunciator but it never comes on. Poor design. My job doesn't require a very accurate meter so I just check it against the line every so often and replace the batteries when I start to see suspiciously low readings. In my job there's a fairly substantial chance that sooner or later I'll drop it off a ladder and break it, and I'd rather break a $40 Chinese meter than a $300 Fluke.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

Thank you for your response! The new meter that I would purchase is only for my personal use, not for work, and it should be used only by me..I think that it can "live" for some years..I don' t use it in "difficult" ambient, or with the possibility that it can fall down. The battery of my cheap ones is fully charged (also my meter had a low battery indicator..and I never had seen it turned ON, when the battery in low!!)..I think that they are "at the end" of their life...or, simply, they aren't the right meter for the work (at this moment,my PC monitor repair)! Thank you!

Reply to
Starflex

You may want to look at a bench meter instead of a "pocket" one.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

I dropped my Fluke and cracked the LCD. The part was provided by Fluke for about $17 including shipping. I had another one that was replaced by them at N/C when it failed, as it had a lifetime warranty.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 3260 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

That's interesting...

Reply to