Need sony spindle motor rf-300f-12350

my sony dvp-ns41p dvd player from costco stopped working after about 14 months with a "can't read this disc" type of message and after taking the top of I could see the disc was not turning. I gave the disc a little push and off it went but only for a minute or so, then when I tried pushing it again it would not move. I disconnected the motor terminals from the board and ohmed it out. It read's as an open circuit so I figure the motor is shot. I removed the motor and the label reads

mabuchi rf-300f-12350 D/V 13.0

I went to the mabuchi motor web site and I can see lots of spindle motors but not this one. The closest seems to be the rf-300fa-12350 which is a 1.5V to 6.0V motor. I also found some web pages on how to transplant new brushes into this motor from a donor motor. Since my motor is toast anyway I took the back off following the procedure and could see that they teeeny little brushes were worn to a nub. Problem is I don't have a donor motor handy so I keep looking for a replacement. It seems from the mabuchi web site that maybe this motor isn't sold on the open market but only to sony. It seems so poorly made that sony must have begged them to squeeze every last cent out of the poor little thing.

When I google the part number I do finds some potential suppliers. One is Impel electronic spare parts. They say that they have imported spare parts from Singapore for the Polish market up to 2005 and since then have opened an E-store for the EC and will sell this motor for

3.09 Euros. I'm a little bit concerned however because they have a photo of the motor on their web site and the label on the motor reads:

mabuchi rf-300f-12350 D/V 5.9

The D/V number 5.9 does not match the 13.0 on my motor so I wonder if this is really the right replacement motor.

Another supplier is mat electronics, They describe this part number as working with SONY DVP NS325/425 and Philips DVP 642 as a HIGH FAILURE PART! I believe the HIGH FAILURE PART! On the Mat web site they show a photo that looks like the correct motor but the label is fuzzed out so you can't really read if this is a mabuchi motor or not and I can't read the D/V number from the picture. I emailed them and Mike says that he can't say anything more than it's a 12V motor and will work with the listed models.

the price is 3.95 + 2.00(handling) + 6.50(shipping) about 12.50 without tax.

Well my model wasn't one of the listed models so I'm a little concerned.

If this were the real deal I would buy it. has anyone else tired this part? Is it

a real mabuchi motor and will I be able to use it as a replacement?

--
dpf923
Reply to

try putting another DVD in it. Like the one I just got where a fat boy is screaming and crying while being beaten with a baton.

Reply to
Brittany Martin

Generally speaking, all of the motors are pretty much the same. If it looks right, and has the terminals pins in the right place to fit the connector PCB, then in my experience, it will work. Voltage is not normally the issue. The variation numbers usually come from different shaft lengths, but here's the trick. Did you measure the turntable height carefully, before removing it ? This setting is very *very* critical for correct operation on DVD decks, which is why replacement spindle motors for DVD players, as opposed to CD players, normally come prealigned on a sub-deck.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

[...]

I've used the very same replacement motor from Mat electronics for a Sony dvd player that was about three years old and it worked out fine. However I think in that instance, the voltages did match. I don't know if the one volt difference in your situation is enough to foul up the works. Do the physical dimensions match otherwise?

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

Generally speaking, all of the motors are pretty much the same. If it looks right, and has the terminals pins in the right place to fit the connector PCB, then in my experience, it will work. Voltage is not normally the issue. The variation numbers usually come from different shaft lengths, but here's the trick. Did you measure the turntable height carefully, before removing it ? This setting is very *very* critical for correct operation on DVD decks, which is why replacement spindle motors for DVD players, as opposed to CD players, normally come prealigned on a sub-deck.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Sorry all - itchy clicking finger !!

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Arfa,

Thanks for your reply. I had read lot's of post on this issue so I used an automotive feeler gauge and come up with 21mils for the distance between the deck and the piece that I removed from the shaft. When I put the new one in I'll use the same feeler gauge and keep my fingers crossed. I' ve also read the posts that say just about anything would work, especially when using donor parts from scrapped units. For the donors they are free anyway and if they didn't work for whatever reason no harm done. If I was going to order a new one and if more than one model were available new I figured I'd prefer to get the best match, if I could figure out which one that would be.

I had assummmed that the D/V 5.9 and the D/V 13.0 were referring to voltage. Like maybe the 5.9 and the 13.0 were the upper voltage limit and maybe the 5.9 unit was designed for a nominal 3V and the 13.0 might be designed for a nominal 6V.

I've seen photos of the rf-300f-12350 unit with the D/V 5.9 and my unit has the D/V 13.0 so then I thought maybe this isn't a voltage rating at all.

If I don't here anything else on the issue I'll spend my 10 bucks and report back on what happened

dave

--
dpf923
Reply to

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 21:01:40 +0100, dpf923 put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'd locate the motor driver chip. If your player is anything like the ones I've seen, then this IC should be near the cables that go to the DVD loader. I'd then locate the datasheet for this chip and determine the motor's maximum possible voltage rating from that. Another way would be to find this chip's supply pin(s) and use a multimeter to trace it back to a labelled power connector. If the chip is powered solely from a 5V supply, then a 6V motor will definitely be OK. If the supply is 12V, or 12V and 5V, then a 6V motor *may* still be OK ... if the chip's output is limited by the external logic. Something else you could check are the specs of the sled and tray motors. These motors would be powered from the same chip, although not necessarily from the same supply rail.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

The motor supply voltage - often designated "+M" or "M+" is very typically

8v on all players

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 09:18:23 GMT, "Arfa Daily" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I couldn't find the circuits for the subject player, but here is the service manual for another Sony player:

It uses a FAN8034L motor control IC. This IC has three rails, SVCC (+5V), PVCC1 (+11V), and PVCC2 (+11V). In the absence of a datasheet, I assume that SVCC powers the logic and PVCCx powers the motors and tracking/focus coils.

OTOH, I have a Sunplus reference circuit that shows a typical BA5954 motor controller with all three rails connected to +5V.

Here is a Cheertek reference design with all three rails connected to

+5V:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar