DVD spindle motor RF300F - What does the D/V 5.9. mean?

I am trying to replace the broken spindle motor in a DVD player. Thsi is a Sony mech and the original part is RF300F, D/V 13. I have a scrap mech with a similar motor but with label D/V 5.9 ...Is this something to do with spindle shaft size or voltage? I'd like to avoid going to the trouble of fitting it and learning the hard way!

TIA

-B

I don't know the answer to that question, but on a slightly different note, before removing the turntable from the original motor, make very very sure that you know the *exact* height above the deck that the underside of the turntable is, and that you are able to refit the turntable to the replacement motor, reproducing that height measurement to within a few thou.

Turntable height is *absolutely critical* to correct operation of a DVD player, and many manufacturers' servos are extremely unforgiving of any mechanical misalignment in this area.

I have personally swapped spindle motors from one deck to another on many occasions over the years, and I would say that overall, it hasn't been successful in more than 50% of cases - maybe even less than that. About the only ones that always were successful - and even then, you had to check the mechanical alignment of the deck when you had finished, using built-in jitter measuring software - was the Panasonic ones. A couple of years back, Pan stopped supplying replacement motors, and now you have to have a replacement sub-deck, which has the motors already fitted and aligned. Presumably, this is because people had trouble fitting and correctly aligning a motor on its own ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I fitted it this afternoon after having measured the height, and so far no probs! maybe I was lucky. thanks , B.