muddy sound

You are Victor Meldrew and I claim the five pounds

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Indeed they still refer to the person who plays recorded music, sound effects etc. as the Grams Operator

Ron

Reply to
Ron

I read that as Diuretic !

Reply to
Ron

What a pissy joke! ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

or

No one expects anything right from the BBC.

(Cue Monty Python's 'No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!') :)

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On 2/1/2009 11:00 PM philsvintageradios spake thus:

It's a visual metaphor, not an auditory one.

-- Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it because it generates considerable business for me in consulting and upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that doesn't work, I stay in business. Incidentally, my company motto is "If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me".

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

: : :N_Cook wrote: : :> Yes you never know until you burrow inside. Ground down the rivet of this :> BSR X3M piezo element phono cartridge, about 1970. The blue rubbery :> suspension element breaking down "doll's disease" fashion or whatever the :> chemical process is. The same process that makes "rubber" grommets melt the :> hard plastic of drawered storage cabinets. Anyway the surrounding hard :> plastic "melting" and vinegar/plasticizer or whatever interfering with the :> contact between piezo foil tails and the contacts leading out, or the goo :> having a damping effect or both. : :Why the HELL would you want to examine the inside of an ultra cheap 40 y.o. :crystal / ceramic cartridge that's probably never seen a new needle in its :entire life ? :

Now there's a throwback from the old Edison days.... "needle".

Perhaps you meant "stylus"?

:They ALL sounded shit btw. : :Graham

Reply to
Ross Herbert

On 2/3/2009 6:59 PM Ross Herbert spake thus:

I still call them that. No need to be anal about it.

Styli have been commonly called "needles" since forever.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that
doesn\'t work, I stay in business. Incidentally, my company motto is
"If this stuff worked, you wouldn\'t need me".

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

78 RPM records were played with either a steel needle, or a cactus needle.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

David Nebenzahl wrote: No need to be anal about it.

WHAT! it`s some peoples vocation in life to be anal about it!

Certainly since the late mid 19th century, and people may well still ask for a needle for their record player here.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

I recall actually trying a needle on an old jukebox we used to have. It basically used stainless needles of some size. I can here it now, Sha Boomm Sha Booom.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I can't remeber hearing that since the 60's

Hey nonny ding dong, alang alang alang Boom ba-doh, ba-doo ba-doodle-ay

Oh, life could be a dream (sh-boom) If I could take you up in paradise up above (sh-boom) If you would tell me I'm the only one that you love Life could be a dream sweetheart (Hello hello again, sh-boom and hopin' we'll meet again

Reply to
GregS

I also had one of thos small box phonographs that had a needle (removable by thunmscrew) very similar to the one in the Juke..

There were three songs I distincly remember from my folks collection... Sha Boom Bluebury Hill You Ain't Nothin Like a Houndog

grge

Reply to
GregS

The crystal cartridge had a thumscrew to replace the needle. I had a box of needles at one point. It seems like needle was the term on the box.

greg

Reply to
GregS

snipped-for-privacy@zekfrivolous.com

ask

I used to collect odd hand tools - usually ones I did not know what they were and try and then identify them. One such, I was told , was a phonograph needle sharpener. If anyone is interested I will try and locate it and take a photo.

N_Cook

On 2/4/2009 11:58 AM GregS spake thus:

I b'leeves that's "You Ain't Nothing *But* a Hounddog".

-- Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it because it generates considerable business for me in consulting and upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that doesn't work, I stay in business. Incidentally, my company motto is "If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me".

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

(removable

phonograph

take

dug it out

Not many cactii in Conn I would have thought. At least no one tried sharpening a steel needle with them as the mini guillotine blade is not nicked at all. No patent number but inscribed on the parallel jaw action

The Wade No 2 W. Schellhorn Co (E looks like a reversed C or maybe incomplete O), Newhaven Conn. Bernard's Pat , May 6 1890 (and manufacture ? date ) Jan 1 1901

N_Cook

Not 'just' in the BBC - in fact anywhere professional TV is still made. (In my experience).

(Discounting all those terrible gambling/shopping channels of course, where the ops probably think grams is short for grandma :) )

To digress; Believe it or not, I freelanced at a TV studio a while back where green room was actually painted a light shade of green, very tasteful. It was later painted a subtle shade of rose and you've guessed it some jumped up media student with no experience or knowledge and too much authority actually had the label on the door changed to 'rose room'..

Reply to
f825_633

Your experience is quite limited, then. I was a broadcast engineer at three different US TV stations over a 20 year period, and have never heard that term used. Terms like sound man, audio engineer, audio board operator, or even the odd military term of 'Broadcaster' who could be anything from a DJ who played records & tapes, to being an on air 'talking head' for the live AFRTS newscasts.