Converting 40 yearold AM car radio to AM + FM

I've been asked to convert a 1962 car radio (Ge technology) to include FM. Its in a classic car so front panel appearance at least must be un-altered. I'm thinking of using a personal matchbox size mono FM receiver with step button channel change, to fit inside. Drop the 12V to 3V, couple antenna to exiting antenna, switch out AM and switch in FM and couple in , adjusted, the o/p to amp input of the car radio. Of course I could extend the switches out of the car radio case but anyone ideas for hiding switches in the existing radio case? The tuning advance button could perhaps be mounted behind a flexible part of the front panel but what about the 2 way switch for AM/FM select ?

n cook

JR North

Why not find the optional AM/FM radio that was offered on the car when new? Even my 1959 MGA had an optional AM/FM radio Regards Lee in Toronto

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

Lee

step

and

new?

I'll probably convert the MW/LW switch to MW/FM

Reply to
n cook

n cook ha escrito:

I dont know anyone who listens to AM these days. unless your client is especially partial to it, i'd just wire it for FM and if the set has channel pushbuttons, put a small microswitch behind one to use for the step-up/ fm seek tuning. B..

FM.

un-altered.

step

anyone

part of

I'm also wondering about ignition noise and use on a positive earth car chassis.

n cook

It's still popular in many parts of the world, not least here in the UK. There are channels which are only available on AM. I sometimes use it for football (soccer) commentary when the same programme isn't available on FM, which is quite often. It's not nice for listening to music on though! Fine for discussion programmes and sport coverage.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

does this to AM car radios in the US