MY FAMILY CAN'T SLEEP DUE TO ULTRASONIC SOUND

In the recent past, we have some problems with tenants who live upstairs of our house. On account of gross violations in the Rental Agreement and damage to property by a tenant we gave a notice to vacate

and got the tenant out. One of the reasons we got this tenant out was because we kept hearing some weird high pitch noise at night and no one

in my family could sleep properly for about 5 months. After this tenant

was gone we were able to sleep well. We had rented the apartment to another tenant. For the first two months, all was well and then this weird high pitch noise problem came back and none of my family could sleep during any given night. We called the police regarding the noise problem but they were not of much help. What could we do to prevent this nuisance and harassment.

It seems that the frequency of this noise is around 20 kHz and is of varying type, which I found out by sampling with wide-band microphone. We had "warm nights" and that went away when we installed aluminum foil

all over the ceiling. But the high pitch noise is still there causing sleep deprivation There are no defective transformers, no leaky boilers, no sonar equipment industries, or ultrasonic security systems in the neighborhood. Its just a tenant living on top of us causing this

nuisance. I need help in this regard.

My family consists of decent law abiding citizens and the only thing we

had done were advises to tenants to abide with the rules and regulations specified in the Rental Agreement and whenever there is a breech, we call them to bring this to their attention. Now, we can't do

it so as we don't have much strength to argue with them due to sleep deprivation by ultra sound or Super sonic noise at night.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could tell me how to nullify or eliminate this nuisance at night. I heard of Ultra sound jammer by talking to a dealer in ultrasound products but they are expensive and beyond our financial capacity. Someone told me to install plastic sheet

on the ceiling or sound proof it with a drop ceiling. I would like to find out what is the practical method to eliminate this strange weird harassment.

Tech

Reply to
tech

retard posting from Boston, Mass wrote: [snip garbage]

It can't harass you if you can't hear or otherwise feel it; go shoot your damned self, troll.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Well, I can hear 19kHz, but it has to be reasonably loud, not something that'll go through the floor at that volume.

I can hear a muted television (15.7kHz NTSC, correct?) as I walk past a room with the door open, but beyond that it's blocked pretty easily. Even a really bad TV couldn't be heard through the floor by anyone, especially an entire family.

I could believe one or two, or even all the children/young adults, but not the "whole family". I don't think any middle aged (or older) adult has anything above 15, let alone 20kHz. (Heck, anyone here want to prove that?)

On a more psychoacoustic note, frequencies above your concious hearing level still have effects, you just kinda 'feel' its presence. This presence could be distracting (although I don't know you'd lose 5 months of sleep over it).

Tim

Tim Williams

In article , Tim Williams wrote: [....]

It may not be "ultra-sonic" at all. Assuming that these folks are hearing a high pitched noise at all, I don't think there have been any measurements made that would give the actual frequency. 7KHz sounds really high. The inexpert may think that this is "ultrasonic".

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Reality check. It's hardly likely that two unrelated tenants, one after the other, would "cause" a 20kHz noise nuisance.

Check any light bulbs (or fluorescents) - especially those in your OWN bedroom. They are notorious for resonating at annoyingly high frequencies especially at the end of their life. Also, dimmer switches can make lights "sing".

--
Dave Farrance
Reply to

[...]

With the tenant's agreement, try switching off the gas, the water and the electricity, one at a time and for only a short period.

You might find it is something mechanical like a gas governor or a water tank float valve whistling.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
 Click to see the full signature

I was playing with my signal generator + speaker a few days ago, and my daughter wandered into the room, so I started testing the limits of our hearing. She can is 16, and can detect frequencies up to 18kHz, I can hear to 12.5kHz. She can't tell if it is on or off above 18kHz, so there seems to be no conscious effect above that for her.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Monsen

I could hear close to 20kHz or even a little more sometimes. A lot of people can't hear the Ultrasonic Pest Repellent available in drug stores which operates above 20kHz range. But I could hear them at times or at least know the presence of such a thing.

The problem we are having is that we couldn't sleep well. We were getting discomforting "warm nights" before which was stopped by installing aluminum foil on the ceiling and we were able to sleep for about three weeks. Then the Ultrasonic sound started disrupting our sleep.

I was wondering how to stop this nuisance.

Reply to
tech

Yes, indeed. The tenant before was getting away with this abuse as we didn't know that such a thing was possible. We thought it was our beds or the coffee we drink. We changed them all for the better and still we were sleep deprived until we got the previous tenant out on account of several abuses and damages to property. We left the apartment vacant for about one month for repairs and we all slept very well during this time. This made us to wonder how someone could make others to cause sleep deprivation silently. When I installed the ceiling with aluminum foil, everyone could sleep well for about three weeks or so and then the Ultrasound nuisance came along. I could not resolve this problem so far.

Reply to
tech

Thanks for the suggestion. It is none of these, as the problem went away by evicting the previous tenant and all utilities were running at the time of vacant possession. During that time we all slept well. The problem started again when a new tenant started occupying for about two months. In both cases, the last two tenants refused the workers to enter the apartment to do maintenance work.

Reply to
tech

Yes. I could hear close to 20kHz. In fact, if an oscillator or signal generator is applied to a transducer such as a Piezo electric diaphragm I could hear up to 20kHz. I was trying to generate a wave form that could nullify this noise but there was success. One thing I could accomplish so far was that the tenant could not locate our physical presence or location anymore because of a "white noise" generated in the apartment.

Reply to
tech

Ah. I've just done a Google check on your email address and I see that you've also posted this to alt.conspiracy, alt.mindcontrol, alt.religion.scientology, and alt.politics.org.covert. I expected something of the sort. I also see that you also used the same alias when posting about your car in alt.autos.toyota in a long thread, and seemingly asking reasonable questions. Well, for the moment I'll assume that you truly mean what you say.

Sleep problems blight a large part of the world's population due to an assortment of medical issues. The chances of two tenants deliberately doing such a thing to you by beaming something through the ceiling is as close to zero as makes no difference. It wasn't them.

Do go to see your doctor and tell him about your sleep problems. Don't be discouraged if a doctor can't find what's wrong right away. You'll only solve this if you recognise that it's your own problem and don't go trying to blame it on others.

--
Dave Farrance
Reply to

Thanks for the assumption of authenticity and reality of these posts. While observing that the last two tenants were involved in the sleep deprivation tactics I may point out that it is equally unusual that all of my family members are having sleep deprivation problems. It went away for sometime after I installed aluminum foil on the ceiling. The sleep deprivation made a comeback with this new nuisance which is hearing a high pitch noise that I cannot resolve so far. The only thing I was able to resolve so far was that the new tenant could not locate the positioning of us within our apartment. They know where we sleep which is in our bedroom.

I know that these groups are very useful dealing with unusual problems such as the one I had with my Toyota.

I was wondering whether anyone knows a method to block these new non-invasive attack tactics.

Reply to
tech

During the vacant time:

Was the heat on?

Did anyone run the hot water tap?

Was the bathroom used?

Were loads plugged into outlets?

Were the windows in the same state of open vs closed?

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

You have to keep replacing the aluminum, or just get foil hats for everybody.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich The Newsgroup Wacko

Find a professional environmental consultant - there might be some chemical vapors leaching out of some construction work , or carpet glue, that with long-term exposure, could cause the symptoms you describe.

If that doesn't work, try some psychotherapy.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--
Well, it certainly sounds to me like a conspiracy.  Perhaps
extraterrestrials have targeted you and you family for experiments
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

With no-one in the premises, there would be no water being drawn from the tank, so the valve wouldn't operate. Likewise gas or some electrical appliances.

Perhaps you have just been unlucky in your choice of tenants - or perhaps they have each discovered something they don't want you to find out (a way to by-pass a meter)?

You could try living in the premises yourself when it becomes vacant again and see what you find.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Tuddenham

Just rent the upstairs apartment yourself, and it will go away.

The upstairs tenants probably didn't want workers in their apartment because there was nothing broken.

And 20 KHz won't go through an apartment carpet, floor, joists, insulation, and ceiling tile, so you're either hallucinating or have some noise in your own apartment that needs to be repaired.

Have you ever gotten a phone call from an Arab? You might be under "Patriot Act" surveillance. =:-O

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Consider the probability that two tenants would bother to do this - is it nil? If not, see a doctor, because, quite seriously, if you think it

*is* likely then your sleep deprivation is (not surprisingly) causing delusional side-effects. Are the rest of the family sleep-deprived because of the noise or because of your reaction to your sleep deprivation?

Does it worry you to have tenants in the apartment? Have you looked at the possibility that you are suffering depression for some reason?

If there is a physical effect going on it is more likely there is equipment in the tenant's apartment which is (unintentionally!) causing the problem, as has been suggested by others. This would explain why you got good sleep with no tenants - no-one there to turn on faulty lights or whatever is doing it.

Try turning off the power when it is occurring. Your own power first, as maybe you are pointing the finger at the wrong dwelling full of electrical goodies.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor