Mitsubishi WS-55805 rearscreen projection repair advice

I was recently given a Mitsubishi ws-55805 rear screen projection TV for free. The TV was definitely showing a vertical reflection problem. If the TV is off for several hours, the screen is perfect. But as time goes by the top of the screen starts to shrink down; just a few inches in 30 minutes. Add more time and eventually the screen will shrink to a line in the middle of the screen while the bottom half is perfect. When I was given the TV the previous owner decided not to repair on the advice of the repair shop, stating the repair was going to be too much and with just a little more, they could get a new TV. Since they bought a new tv, I was able to acquire it for free as long as I moved myself. That was fun :)

I had a local electronics shop come and give me an estimate to repair. They could not give an estimate on site, so they pulled the guts out and took them to their shop. The next day they gave me an estimate of $465.00US to repair the TV. They said that there were issues with the vertical deflection and power systems.

I don't know what parts are needing to be replaced, Is this TV worth putting this much money in to a repair? I cannot buy this TV for this much, but on the other hand if components are already failing, could there be more failures to come? I thought about buying the schematics and trying to fix it myself, but with the cost of the tools I would most likely need, I would be close to the repair cost. And, I do have doubts I would be able to troubleshoot it properly ending up with a solid repair. I have done basic repairs such as cracked solder joints, replacing leaky caps, and bad chips. But there are no apparent problema with the TV by sight.

Does anyone have any advice for someone in my situation? Should I ask more questions about the repair? If you need anymore information, I will try to provide it. But the shop is being vague, I guess they don't want to do the diagnoses and then have someone else do the repair.

Isaac

Reply to
Isaac

I'd be surprised if there were PS problems. Sounds like a pretty typical case of bad solder joints on the vertical output IC, a bad output IC, or bad caps related to it. I would never give an estimate as vague as "issues." You should get more specific information about what they propose needs to be done.

Where are you located and does this estimate include trips to and from the home to pull and re-install the light box and alignment?

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I am located in the Atlanta area. Since they picked it up; I assume they will bring it back and install it with all of the proper techniques. But to be sure I will be adding that to my list of question I will be asking tomorrow. They told me it would be a free estimate if I brought it in, or $25.00 to come to the house, which seemed like a good deal since I really didn't want to be hauling the TV around town. They never charged the $25.00, I assume becuase they needed to take the parts to their shop. I wasn't there when they came to do the estimate. Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated.

Isaac

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in news:JIV3g.4086$B42.2857@dukeread05:

Reply to
Isaac

I went to a customer house to look at his Mits VS-50609 . The red

convergence was way out, but only on the top half of the screen. The red

dropped way down from the top of the picture. Went to the convergence menu

and it had a setting "Restore Factory Default Settings". Reset it and the

alignment popped back in the top half and was perfect after that. I checked

his convergence IC was STK393-110. The screen has a burn mark in it now from

running out of alignment but it doesn't look that bad.

I would ask the shop for a time estimate on your repair. If it is over two

or three days I would want to know why so long. If you feel they are blowing

smoke then ask for your gear back. I have a Magnavox to work on, 60 inch

that the customer paid over $500 to a shop and after he got it back it

wouldn't even turn on. Had to go back to the shop again. Then he got it back

and a couple months later it started just shutting down after about 10

minutes. I verified it, shuts down. I don't even want to work on it. It is a

"worked on dog". Those are usually the hardest or impossible to repair. I

know a lot of people won't even try to fix something if it has been

"hacked." Good luck. Scott

Reply to
Scott Lane