FM transmitter question?

I Just bought an fm transmitter and since i hate the stupid plug and all the wires i hard wired it to the car. first is this safe? also my power supply to the transmitter is always on even when the key is out. and the red LED on the transmitter is always on. My main question is, is it ok to leave it on all the time?, and will it drain my battery? i already did it to my sirius radio. My transmitter is a Monster brand one, i provided a link below for reference:

Thanks!

Reply to
John P.

For that you need the power consumption and the tech specs on that site don't appear to give it. Is it marked on the original power connector or elsewhere? Or in the manual?

If the vehicle is in use every day it should be ok at a guess. Leave it for a week and you *might* have problems.

However, why not simply re-wire it to an ignition switched supply? The one going to the radio would be a good bet.

--
*Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wouldn't leave it running all the time . . . it will drain the battery some, but I'd worry more about leaving it running in a parked car in summer sun. A lot of things "could" go wrong.

It is usually easy enough to find a circuit that only has power when the car is switched on, and it is a lot safer.

Newsgroups
default

Sweet all done! drilled a hole in the center consul, and istalled a hot LED switch connected both the sirius and the transmitter to the switch then soldered them! looking very good!

Reply to
John P.

Definitely the way to go.

My wife had an old Toyota that didn't have a "headlight on/engine off" warning buzzer. It was just a matter of pulling back the side lining to locate the fuse panel then wiring the piezo buzzer between two fuses - no more dead batteries.

Newsgroups
default