Mitsubishi VS-457RS Rear Projection TV Repair

I have a 1980-era Mitsu VS-457RS television that has failed. There is a red LED which lights on the front panel, but it acts as if it has no power otherwise - There is no screen or sound.

Strangely, this happened before, but it started working again after being left unplugged for a couple of weeks. It continued to work for over a year.

I have done repairs on arcade monitors, so I'm comfortable with replacing flybacks and capacitors, but I've never been inside of a big screen. Web searches have turned up almost nothing on this model.

Any hints on where to look for info or what to expect when I crack it opened are appreciated.

Reply to
daeven

big screen tvs are similar as far as the electronics go, voltage regulator may be bad? look for it the only real difference i know of is at the final video stage (where the colors are driven on seperate tubes rather than one crt) ive only worked on a few older models though

Reply to
AshTray700

Oldie for sure. Many of the old Mitz RPTV sets would have the yokes short to the coating on the picture tube. You will find a blown fuse on one of the power boards, DO NOT JUST REPLACE IT. You must find out the cause of the failure first.

It is usually easy to pull the yoke down off the neck of the tube to find out which one failed, they all will need insulated. If it is bad, good luck finding a replacement.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

is

no

big

Reply to
dkuhajda

It turns out I lied. The TV does tune and sound works, but there is absolutely no pic. I now remember the failure mode. The TV was powered on, working. I walked out of the room for a bit and returned to the sound with no picture. I'll crack it open and take a look inside.

Thanks!

Reply to
daeven