Mitsubishi CS-20SX1, intermittent start up.

This Mitsubishi CS-20SX1 randomly decides it won't start up. The relay clicks, the high voltage comes on, then about two seconds later, the relay clicks again. You can't attempt to turn it back on until you unplug the set and connect it again. I have no schematic on this set. It seemed that all it might need was to redo some intermittent soldering connections or replace some leaky caps. Reflowing the solder didn't help and the caps look and test very good. While doing a Google search, I was thrilled to find the following tech tips on this unit:

From Tech Repair CD: MITSUBISHI\CS20SX1\SHUTDOWNS AT TURN ON IMMEDIATELY* RELAY WILL NOT CLICK AGAIN UNTIL MICRO RESET\\\\22/50V CAP MOUNTED UNDER CIRCUIT BOARD NEAR IC401\\\\\\\\

I noticed that the 22uF 50V cap is not located under the circuit board. The cap that is in the set now checks ok so I was hesitant to change it. It's funny that there is no mention of the capacitor's reference number but there's only one 22uF cap in the neighborhood.

Secondly, I found this tip:

Brand: MITSUBISHI Type: CTV Model: CS20SX1 Question: Instant shutdown or intermittent start up. Answer: Replace D715(5.1V zener with 6.2V zener).

I performed that modification and it managed to shift the on screen display about 1/3 of the screen to the left and also caused the on screen display colors to be misconverged. Adjusting the osd position control moved it back where it was supposed to be but the osd colors were terrible. This misconvergence only applied to the volume, tint, brightness, color, contrast, and sharpness. It did not affect the channel numbers which appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Reinstalling the original diode corrected the osd problem.

So I was wondering if any of you had come across this problem and had any success with the above modifications.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

set

it

test

following

The

display

back

appear

I was able to find the fault with this set.

C519 100uF @ 50V, even though esr was ok, it was leaking. C520 1uF @ 50V, esr slightly high. (8.2 ohms)

I replaced both of those caps, cleaned up the leaky stuff, and so far so good.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Farber

The only thing in my history notes on that model is a distorted audio problem. A leaky capacitor was the culprit, but the esr also checked marginally good. Right next to the audio process circuit.

Reply to
dkuhajda