Mitsubishi cs-2710ra vertical problem

My trusted Mitsubishi cs-2710ra died, it displays thin horizontal bar on the middle of the screen. I can see picture elements in the bar . I'm debating if it makes sense to fix it or just trash it. I'll attemt to fix it first by myself but I need help to troubleshoot it. Please help me to troubleshoot it or give me suggestions what to look for.

Thanks!

Reply to
ladybug

Check the electrolytic capacitors on the board that the yoke coil plugs into. Most of the time that is the problem. You may need to replace more than one.

Reply to
longman

Do I need to unsolder caps for checking? How can I see if cap is bad with multimeter? If you can get a hold of schematics can you tell me which caps to check?

Reply to
ladybug

It's best to use a ESR meter for finding bad caps

Reply to
rb

Actually an ESR meter will not identify all or even most of the bad caps in this set. Some will have high esr, most will be physically leaking electrolyte, and some will be low in capacitance. This problem may be caused by leaky caps at the vertical output IC and/or in the 12V supply. Ther will be at least a dozen more that need to be replaced or more problems will be occurring soon. The circuit traces that are corroded from the electrolyte leakage will need to be repaired and all of the residue from the caps will need to be washed from the board. We fix these all the time and they are a "pay me now or pay me more later deal." We don't even touch tem if the client does not want to pay to have all the bad or failing caps changed. Just fixing the vertical circuit is a sure way to get a recall in a few weeks or months with an unhappy client.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 2046 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Does anyone can point me to a repair manual or schematic?

Reply to
ladybug

You can get it from Mitsubishi, but it will likely be a waste of $$$. It will not tell you how to fix the set.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 2073 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Why dont you read what people have posted for you.

Reply to
kip

I did read. I just don't want to replace every single cap "on the board that the yoke coil plugs into". I want to be more specific because I need to get new caps first.

Reply to
ladybug

No need to replace every single cap. I said that you will find perhaps a dozen bad caps in the set. Two dozen if you are very unlucky. I also said that you can fix the immediate problem with just a couple of caps in the vertical ouput stage and perhaps one on the 12v regulator.

No tech who fixes these type of problems would need the service manual unless a trace was corroded away beyond recognition of where it went. In order to fix this set you need to:

  1. Identify the leaky, high esr, and low value caps, which will require an ESR meter, a capacitance meter, and reviewing the instructions posted several time in the past for finding leaky caps. Google the group for Mitsubishi, capacitors, and my name for instructions on finding the leaky caps.
  2. Clean the board of electrolyte and corrosive residue.

  1. Repair the damaged traces and bad solder joints.

  2. Replace the bad caps and perhaps the vertical output IC.

If you don't check all of the caps for leakage you will be fixing it again in a few months.

Now you have been given much more information than you will find in the service manual regarding solving your problem. You can spend the $$ if you wish.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 2104 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I replaced 5 leaky caps that I found but it didn't change anything. I suspect that vertical output IC went kaput. After all it died suddenly without gradual picture srinking. Is it LA7838 chip? Is there a way to test it with multimeter? What is a good place to get a replacement?

Reply to
ladybug

If you want serious help, post some specifics. You probably did not get all of the caps that are bad. There will be at least a dozen. Do you have both the 12v and 28v supplies at the output IC? Which caps did you change?

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 4181 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I replaced C458, C450, C460 all 100uf. Also C559 and 2G1. I defenately missed some.... On the IC I have 12v on pin one but no 28v. Is it supposed to be on pin 8? Nothing there.

Reply to
ladybug

Then you need to backtrack to the flyback. You have an open current limiter, probably a 1.2 ohm 1/2 watt. And yes, if it's an LA7838 pin 8 is your primary VCC and should be 28 volts or so.

Tech Data

Also trace from c458 to pin 9 was corroded and read open. I got that taken care off.

Reply to
ladybug

You're right R558 reads open. Why did it burn and where can I get a replacement?

Reply to
ladybug

Now look over to the left of the board as you see it from behind and find the leaky caps around the heat sink near the front of the board. There will be several, perhaps about 10. There are two that will be on the vertical board with the regulator. If you don't get them , and the rest of the leaky caps on the main board, you will be doing this again soon. Check ALL of the black colored polar electrolytics made by rubycon, nichicon, or sme.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 2245 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

There are plenty of leaking caps on the front left of the board where you said but I don't see any vertical board with the regulator. Where is it? I'm also out of replacement caps and need to buy a bunch for this repair. Can you recommend a place to buy and preferable type/brand of electrolytic caps? I also need a 1.2 ohm current limiter

Reply to
ladybug

I may be thinking of another set. I buy most of my caps from Tritronics which is good if you are on the east coast. There are lots of similar distributors all over. Get 105 degree caps. They don't stock 35V caps, just use 50V instead. None of these will matter.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 2249 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Looks like almost all the caps that I have made by rubycon. I'll try to replace most of them. How can I get off the board leaked acid? Do I need to replace caps on the tube board? None of tube caps seems to be leaking. What is the correct part for 1.2 ohm current limiter?

Reply to
ladybug