Missing coax connector on TV

We moved a few months ago and just got out our spare TV to set up in the basement. I went to connect to the cable up and the coax connector is missing. The plastic is broken around the area. I see two coiled wires, one copper and one red and the edge of a board. It is a Citizen model:JCTV3413B. Can I get a new coax connector and connect it? I would like to try doing this myself if at all possible.

Any advice apprecitated.

fybar

Reply to
fybar

Fybar, sorry to say this, the thin yellow and red copper wires was specially wound open core coils and little piece of board ripped out of that tuner. Best to take unit to shop and have them replace this tuner, is still available from Citizen. Find shop that is authorized to repair these.

Cheers, Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Jason D.) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.on.sympatico.ca:

Thanks for the reply Wiz! Those coils are still intact, though I doubt that this will have much of an impact on the prognosis. I will have to price it out as a new TV might be more cost effective.

Thanks again,

fyb

Reply to
fybar

Your best bet is probably to replace the tuner, you can do that yourself if you know how to solder. Tuners can be expensive but sometimes they're reasonable, and it's possible someone might have a good tuner from a junk set.

Reply to
James Sweet

Actually I've repaired a problem like this on a Sony 27" I got at a garage sale for $1, The sellers kids had ripped the coax out of the back taking the connector and a few of the coils with it. All the parts were still there and I was able to reassemble them and rewind the broken coils with guesswork. It's been working fine now for 5 years. You could attempt this if you want the experience and you're good at soldering. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

Is the blocking capacitor still there? If so, I'd use the stock RCA connector. What I usually did if the connector was too big for the opening is remove one or two sections of the part of the connector that goes inside the TV, and heavily solder the connector to the tuner on the outside. You'd probably have to see one of those connectors to know what I am referring to.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

You might be able to get a rebuilt tuner from Tip Top Tuner for $27 which includes shipping. Check them out at:

Or call them at 818-345-1974 to see if they have a replacement in stock. I didn't see Citizen listed though, but I'd call them anyway. Get any part numbers off of the tuner itself to help them cross-reference it.

If they have it in stock, all you have to do is remove your old one and send it to them as a core. I've done this recently and the turn around is about

1 week.

Good luck,

Lenny

Reply to
Leonard Haney

Here we go again ... This is not a big deal you dont need to replace the tuner . Any honest tv shop could replace the jack and charge 25to 35$ . I have replaced many of these even if the edge of the board was chipped off .

Reply to
Ken G.

Make sure that blocking capacitor is still there or it is replaced with the proper part. If it's what I think Tom is referring to, it's a safety- critical component.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

But didn't he say a few of the coils were ruined? A shop might be able to repair the tuner but most would probably replace it, and he asked about repairing it himself in which case replacing the tuner would be the way to go if he's inexperienced, depending on cost of course.

Reply to
James Sweet

But did he even say it was the tuner?

I don't know at what point it changed, but many a tv set had a coax connector on the back (and often a 300ohm set of terminals too), along with a balun, and then a cable to the actual tuner. That's what I'm picturing here, rather than that the coax connector was broken off a tuner.

Presumably more recent sets did things differently (I've not looked at more recent ones), and the connector is on the tuner module and it's directly mounted on the back of the tv set. But at that point, the structure is different and I can't imagine the coax connector breaking off, unlike when the connector itself is mounted by itself on the plastic.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

James Sweet wrote in news:C5P8f.9067$U67.2881 @trnddc07:

Actually, I didn't. I don't think anything is ruined. There doesn't seem to be any chips on the board and the coils look fine, the ones I see anyway. I have taken a photo and posted it, if anyone would take a look and let me know what they think the extent of the damage is:

I could take more or answer questions about what is there. Thanks again to all who have posted,

fybar

Reply to
fybar

Oh, yeah that just ripped the connector out, should be pretty easy to fix it with a connector from any junked set.

Reply to
James Sweet

I haven't seen a set made like that in the last 15 years at least, now they all have the coax connector right on the tuner, sometimes there's an isolator, other times a few inches of coax but they don't have 300 ohm terminals anymore.

Reply to
James Sweet

James Sweet wrote in news:DlQ8f.415$hp5.248@trnddc04:

So, I can just glue another connector on there? Is there no physical connection? How does the signal get transferred from the connector into the tuner? If there is a web page that describes this, that would be fine.

Thanks!

fybar

Reply to
fybar

Well you'll have to solder the center pin of the connector to the pad it was originally connected and mechanically connect the outside of the connector to the metal shield, you need to make sure there wasn't an isolator in there as well, but it doesn't look to me like there was. If in doubt, have a tech fix it.

Reply to
James Sweet

physical

In the interest of safety and knowing how to complete the repair safely and properly, it is highly recommended that you have someone who is experienced with fixing electronics do the repair.

Reply to
dkuhajda

So far it looks like $85 minimum. That is a little more than I want to spend considering what I could spend to buy a new set. That is what I expected, and why I wanted to do it myself.

Thanks again to all who contributed.

fyb

Reply to
fybar

Shop around .. there is more than one repairman -- in most areas.

Reply to
gb

You do not necessarily need a full blown service shop for that level of repair, just someone who knows the safety and what they are doing inside a tv set.

Reply to
dkuhajda