Adcom GTP-450 turns itself off or the cpu locks up.

Hello.

I used to work for an Adcom warranty station and remember this was a common problem but I can't recall what the cure is. If anyone has a solution I'd really appreciate it. Thanks. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

The problem turned out to be conductive glue on the ribbon cable from the on-standby switch to the upc board. It wasn't visible from the top of the unit. I found a pin out of the upc and noticed unusual activity on the key lines. This activity ceased and the unit functioned properly when the cable from the switch was detached at the upc board. When I removed the switch from the circuit board, I noticed a wisp of conductive glue at the cable end. Once the glue was removed, the unit functioned normally. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Hi

Thanks for posting this thread- I just fixed a similar problem with my adcom GTP-450, I initially thought power supply caps, but after replacing several of the smaller caps and all the regulator output caps I googled and found this. Eventually it turned out to be the power switch itself in my case. A momentary power switch from an old ATX computer case had the correct stem for the button, and the wires from the ATX switch replace the factory ribbon cable. I unsoldered the old switch, and held the new switch in place with some epoxy resin and a couple of screws- good as new!

Cheers Allyn

Reply to
Allyn Oldfield

Glad to have helped. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

I also had a bad power switch on a GTP-450. It measured 275K ohms across wh at should have been open terminals. New switch fixed the problem.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff.shen.hall

Do you realize you responded to a five year old thread ?

I see alot of people doing that who use Google to get here. It is not like it is a huge problem but it does clutter the recent threads page because (as you know) it does not give the date of the OP there.

What I don't understand is how you are finding these old posts, are you doing a search ? Because something five years old would be on about page 310 or so if you are just browsing the posts as they are in reverse chronological order.

Another thing to realize is that not everyone sees your posts because they have gmail blocked because there are a lot of spammers on it. I haven't seen a whole lot of it on the sci.electronics groups but they are not all of Usenet.

Reply to
jurb6006