Magnavox VCR (model VR9640AT01) rewinds 4 seconds then shuts off

I have an old Magnavox VCR (model VR9640AT01 VCR, mfr date 12-4-1987), which shut off last week while playing a tape.

When I powered it back on, it made noises for exactly 4 seconds, and then shut off again. None of the buttons (Eject, Play, etc.,) work!

To see what was happening, I removed the casing, plugged it in, and powered it on. It was REWINDING for 4 secs before shutting off.

When I kept my finger on the Power button, it rewound, stopped, rewound, stopped -- until it got to the beginning of the tape. Now, when I press the Power button it TRIES to rewind and shuts off.

Any ideas? Or, are the internal electronics kaput and need a technician?

Note: If you post a reply, please email me a copy if it to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
HighOnRye

More like a mechanical problem, or a mode switch problem.

Perhaps the load belt (underneath) is broken.

Maybe the mode switch needs cleaning.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias