Toshiba VCR Model M-656 automatically shuts off...

The subject VCR shuts itself off approximately 3 seconds after it powers on when the 'power' pushbutton is depressed. While it is on, it displays channel info. It does not accept a video cassette. Anyone have any helpful suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Don in sunny Florida

Reply to
Loftydon

Check the alignment of the tape mechanism, gears, mode switches, and any optical sensors per the diagram in the service manual. If it is one of the newest under $100 VCRs then a service manual may not be available, it might be one of the throw away exchange under warranty items.

Reply to
dkuhajda

How about a JVC VCR-DVD combination where the VCR rewinds the tape by itself when the unit has been on a long time! Spooky. You go to record something and you end up taping over something you want to keep.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

Think about the problem logically. When would hte vcr normally rewind the tape? When it senses you are at the end of the tape.

Assuming you do not have a real junk tape in the unit causing excessive light to pass through the tape. You need to troubleshoot the end of tape optical sensor. BTW the tape entry door missing can also cause this on many cheap vcrs from the ambient room light.

Reply to
dkuhajda

I should've mentioned that I'm not playing the tape. I just have the VCR on to pass audio to my surround system, like when I'm viewing NASCAR. All of a sudden, for no reason, the tape will start rewinding. And NO, it is not anywhere near the end of the tape.

-Chris

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

JR North