Burnt out Electric Fence Tape

Hi guys, Anyone got any answers to an odd phenomena i've seen with an electric fence tape. The tape in 1/2 inch wide insulated with about 5 or six stainless strands woven through it. I have a 30ft section that has burn marks across the witdth of the tape at about six inch intervals along the whole length. I know some of the wires are broken at some points and you can see sparks jumping the breaks but they vary where they jump.

Can anyone explain why the burn marks should be so regular?

Thanks

--
Terminal_Crazy

Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6          terminal_crazy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Terminal Crazy

Maybe it was sold folded up instead of coiled?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nope. Definately came off a roll.

I can understand a hot spot/high resistance burning out but not repeatedly along the length at regular intervals.

--
Terminal_Crazy

Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6          terminal_crazy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Terminal Crazy

I'll probably get howls of derision for suggesting this - but how steep is the risetime on the HV pulses?

Maybe constructive interference on reflected waves?!

Reply to
Ian Field

It pulses about every 3-4 seconds, very similar to a car HT Plug lead about IIRC 4-5000 volts at the unit.

--
Terminal_Crazy

Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6          terminal_crazy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Terminal Crazy

I'm actually thinking a problem with the weaving machine during manufacture.

Maybe the strands of SS wire are a set length woven into the fabric and if done properly should have several points of contact with other strands to guarantee continuity - a weaving malfunction in that case would result in discontinuities at regular distances.

Have you tried checking continuity on a new length?

Reply to
Ian Field