Acoustat Electrostatic Speakers

My brother has a very vintage pair of Acoustat speakers driven from what he describes to me as an Acoustech IV pre-amp, distinguished by having phono- jack outputs directly to the speakers. Which have large, heavy, powered box es attached. After many years of sitting unused, they went silent on him. I suspect the pre-amp, but at-a-distance, I cannot be sure. No, I do not hav e the model number of the speakers, but they are self-powered, very nearly

2 meters tall, just over 6 feet, There are three fuses on the back, a remov able power-cord, an on-off switch, the 1/4" phono jack input and a 5-positi on treble boost/cut knob. Which should narrow it down.

Question: is that specialized pre-amp required, or would any normal audio pre-amp do?

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

The preamp isn't special. You'll need one that can do a reasonable output amplitude, even though the speaker input impedance is high, as the accustats need good drive levels.

Having both speakers go silent at the same time does suggest the preamp.

RL

Reply to
legg

Thank you! I have in mind the Dynaco PAT-5biFET as it puts out ~15 volts, and is more-or-less contemporary with the speakers.

Thanks again!

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

he describes to me as an Acoustech IV pre-amp, distinguished by having phon o-jack outputs directly to the speakers. Which have large, heavy, powered b oxes attached. After many years of sitting unused, they went silent on him. I suspect the pre-amp, but at-a-distance, I cannot be sure. No, I do not h ave the model number of the speakers, but they are self-powered, very nearl y 2 meters tall, just over 6 feet, There are three fuses on the back, a rem ovable power-cord, an on-off switch, the 1/4" phono jack input and a 5-posi tion treble boost/cut knob. Which should narrow it down.

pre-amp do?

No idea, but that vintage stuff out there in Kutztown, PA is something comp ared to the microscopic breadboards 3D printed out in Silicon Valley. Those late-model "echo device" speakers of the new generation are really becomin g loud, too.

Reply to
bruce bowser