Light printing on LJ5

FWIW, I got, off of eBay, a really nice Xerox 5400 40 PPM duplex laser printer the other day. Incredible performance, had about 33K copies on the counter. Price? Well, 49.95, and I was able to pick it up and save on shipping. I didn't complain about the fact it came with a brand new toner cartridge, either. I still laugh whenever I look at it.

There are some good deals on higher quality printers right now, as companies either upgrade, or go out of business.

Reply to
PeterD

Nope. Some are totally different.

Reply to
PeterD

I'm jealous. Nice buy. The problem I have with Xerox printers (mostly Tek color Phaser models) is getting parts. Xerox does not make it easy for independents to buy parts and pieces direct:

I can get most of what I need from recyclers and eBay parts cannibals, but it's MUCH easier with HP products, where original parts and clones are common and cheap.

Shipping on large printers is usually the problem.

My favorite printer of the week is the HP2200dtn. They're fast, duplex, network ready, and most important for me, don't make any noise or suck power when in standby. About $100 to $175 on eBay. I obtained a pile from the local recycler for about $25/ea. One problem with the HP2200dn is decomposed foam on the solenoids causing paper jams. Here's the fix:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I guess then I done good when I got another one for parts at a cost of $20...

I picked the 5400 because I already have a GCC XL-40, which is the same print engine, just different software. That made two of them, but the GCC didn't have duplex. Then after getting the second one, I figured 'spare parts would be nice'. OK, found a third one for $20, and that one did have a duplexer. I pulled the duplexer and put it in the GCC, and kept the rest fo the $20 printer for parts.

(The $20 printer was heavily used, so I didn't feel bad about parting it out--the thought of cleaning it was too much! And I didn't need three printers, either.)

Reply to
PeterD

I know it's cheating, but I bought a $99 HP P1006 on-line and it is actually perfect for what I need - small, light weight, trivial install, decent print quality. I know it will probably fall apart in a year from loneliness given the amount of printing I do - mostly mailing labels and tax returns. :) Between now and then maybe another friend will dump off a half-working printer at my door step. :)

Thanks for all the comments!

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser