LCD problem, sections of screen dim

=_NextPart_000_00DC_01C70729.87463F90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have a 4 year old 17" Samsung 760V LCD monitor, when the screen is =

100% bright it works very well and I'd like to keep it alive. This = problem has been occuring for at least a year...when I first turn on the = monitor usually the screen is 100% dim, or partially dim. If I keep = turning it off and on, eventually the entire screen will be bright and = will stay like that as long as it's on. Occasionally, after a screen saver blankout, it will come back partially = dark. =20

The dark/dim areas vary in position (seem to be horizontal strips), and = also dimness (sometimes almost normal bright, sometimes so dim I can = barely read text). The monitor is plugged in at a wall socket, not into = the computer outlet.

Does this sound more like an inverter board (is this the power supply = board?) problem than a backlight problem? Can someone give me some = advice on how to troubleshoot this kind of problem. Also, I'd = appreciate information on sources of parts for this monitor, they don't = seem to be easy to find.

I see this monitor on eBay occasionally, but often is being sold as-is = with a dark screen...this must be a common problem with older LCD = monitors, or just this particular model?

Regards, jc

Reply to
jbclem

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:42:14 -0800, jbclem Has Frothed:

There maybe people will actually read your article now.

Please don't post in HTML and wrap your text at 66 lines.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

jbclem: I would start by checking the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply and inverter board sections. Look especially for capacitors with buldging or expanded tops. It sounds like a capacitor that is partially healing itself as it gets warmer.

Hope this helps... John

Reply to
jdgill

If it's the sort of monitor that has multiple CCFL tubes spaced down the back of the screen then I would first check the inverters, while they're intermittant would be a good time to attempt repair on them before they quit completely. It's a lot easier to diagnose if you can make them work sometimes.

Reply to
James Sweet