Sony Carousel CD Changer Recognizes Discs only in #1 Tray!

Make: Sony

Year of Mfg: 2000

Model: CDP-CE375

Issue: Does not read CDs in trays #2-5, but does read them
in tray #1. If a CD is also in tray 2 or higher, the player pauses, for
at least 8-10 sec., then moves onto the next tray, and so on.

This doesn't make sense, since there is only one laser-sled
assembly, and the carousel just rotates until the requested
disc is over that assembly.

Any ideas?

Re: Sony Carousel CD Changer Recognizes Discs only in #1 Tray!

Have you taken the top cover off the player and checked the mechanical
operation?  Perhaps it is not really rotating or clamping the other
discs?  If that is the case, I'd be thinking towards belts, assuming
that the CD's are in good condition.

Regards,
Tim

Re: Sony Carousel CD Changer Recognizes Discs only in #1 Tray!

Re: Sony Carousel CD Changer Recognizes Discs only in #1 Tray!
______

Yesterday,  I  put  a CD in just  tray #2.  The  player checked tray 1,
and  about  a few seconds later  rotated and  checked  for  disc min  tray 2,
 scanned,  and  I got TOC(table  of  contents  - total time, number  of  tracks),
and  played  when  I  pressed play.

Where  the  problems  crop mup  is  when I  have  two  or  more  discs in
the carousel. If I  press the  button for, IE  disc #3,  The  machine  will stop playing
disc #1,  rotate to  #3,  scan, not  detect  the  disc,  and  move  on  to tray #4,  all
the  way  back  to  #1.

So  basically,  the  trouble  occurs only  if  I have  more  than one  CD in the
carousel,  or  press  one  of  the five direct access disc #s.

Logic  circuitry  getting  senile?

Re: Sony Carousel CD Changer Recognizes Discs only in #1 Tray!

Hmmm have a schematic? This may help: https://manualzz.com/doc/24703163/sony-cdp-ce375-service-manual

Rule out disks - take known readable disk in #2 and move to #3, take known readable disk in #1, move to #2, put new known readable disk in #1.   Go through sequence 1 to 2, 2 to 3,  and see what happens.

When the carousel reaches the 'bad position'  does the system try to read the disk? e.g. sled move? etc.
Can you check the signal on the optical receiver?
Am trying to determine if it is a carousel positioning problem or player problem.

Re: Sony Carousel CD Changer Recognizes Discs only in #1 Tray!

Change the loading belt.  I suspect that the additional weight of the CDs causes the try to be misaligned at the other positions.  There is little to no movement of the tray for disc 1.

Re: Sony Carousel CD Changer Recognizes Discs only in #1 Tray!
:
s, for
cal

,
ks),
 stop playing
 #4, all
he
/sony-cdp-ce375-service-manual
own readable disk in #1, move to #2, put new known readable disk in #1. Go
through sequence 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and see what happens.
d the disk? e.g. sled move? etc.
r problem.
causes the try to be misaligned at the other positions. There is little to
no movement of the tray for disc 1.
_____

That's  a  thought.  But  really what  is  the  weight  to  power  ratio  o
f  the  carousel  mechanism  for  a few  CDs?  This  Is  why  I  keep  buyi
ng up  thes  carousels  at second  hand  thrift -  so  I  can  simply  swit
ch in  a  replacement  when  the  other one  goes.

Re: Sony Carousel CD Changer Recognizes Discs only in #1 Tray!
If the belt is getting slippery, it won't take much to make a difference.  Try the belt as it is the cheapest option at this point.

Re: Sony Carousel CD Changer Recognizes Discs only in #1 Tray!
rote:

:
auses, for

 Try the belt as it is the cheapest option at this point.

Belts are known to lose their elasticity and become gummy in Sony carousels
.  I changed tons of those years ago.  I don't know if Sony still sells the
 belts but you can buy a generic kit on ebay cheap.  Depending on the model
, there's either two or three belts in the kit IIRC.

Re: Sony Carousel CD Changer Recognizes Discs only in #1 Tray!
ls. I changed tons of those years ago. I don't know if Sony still sells the
 belts but you can buy a generic kit on ebay cheap. Depending on the model,
 there's either two or three belts in the kit IIRC.

McMaster-Carr will sell you any number of O-rings in any number of sizes, c
onfigurations and materials that will do nicely in place of about any smoot
h belt out there, flat, oval, half-round and round. And also a large number
 of toothed belts should that be the requirement. Don't waste your time loo
king for OEM belts and/or pay stupid prices for them.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Site Timeline