Horizontal streaks HP LaserJet 3200m scans

How do I get rid of horizontal streaks HP LaserJet 3200m copies and scans?

Whether I copy or scan, I get horizontal streaks like this: ______________________________________ |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |-------------------------------------| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |-------------------------------------| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |-------------------------------------| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |-------------------------------------| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| ______________________________________

What is the cause and solution for these horizontal streaks?

Reply to
Emran M.

Measure the distance between the streaks.

Using the downloadable service manual, or the "Print Quality" help page, you can isolate which element is contributing to these streaks due to how far apart they are (each of the rotating elements are a different diameter, so their tell marks are different spacings apart.)

RwP

Reply to
Ralph Phillips

+1
Reply to
N_Cook

True, but also try a new toner cartridge, just to make sure, and that is the easiest rotating bit to replace.

--
Froz....
Reply to

But the streaks are horizontal, while the rollers must (by nature) be vertical???

Reply to
Emran M.

But the paper scans down in a vertical direction, which means the rollers must be vertical.

Yet, the streaks are horizontal (in the opposite direction in which the paper physically moves down through the scanner).

Reply to
Emran M.

But there is no toner in the case of scanning a photo.

  1. I put the photo in the scanner slot (the HP LaserJet 3200m is not a flatbed)
  2. I bring up IrfanView on Windows & select IrfanView: File > Acquire/Batch Scanning
  3. That scans the photo into the computer but the result is horizontal streaks (perpendicular to the direction of the paper flow).

The glass plate inside is about 9 or 10 inches wide and 3/4 inch tall and I cleaned it before asking you what the problem was.

I don't see anything else inside that "sees" the photo other than that paper-width wide strip of 3/4-inch wide glass.

The conundrum is that the streaks are in the opposite direction as anything that touches the photo (the rollers roll in the vertical direction but the streaks are in the horizontal direction).

That enigma should give me a clue as to what the cause is, but I can't think of anything that goes horizontally.

This is what the HP LaserJet 3200m looks like

The manual is 10 dollars

Emran M.

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Hmmm... 15 year old printer. Is it dirty inside?

If it's a thin black line, such streaks are usually caused by the laser scanner or formatter electronics. Some dust on the rotating mirror might do the trick (not sure). However, that doesn't quite match your vague description.

The various rollers will leave their footprints, but not as a continuous line across the page. However, if it's a broad smear, it can easily be a burnt toner cartridge that was left in the sun, which then burned the drum. A scorched fuser roller will do much the same thing. Please heed the advice of others to measure the distance between the horizontal lines, divide the distance by 2*Pi, which should yield the diameter of the offending roller.

If you want to continue this, I suggest you take a photo of an offending page, post it to a public photo site, so we can look at it. Otherwise, make an effort to be more specific than "horizontal streaks".

Free service manual:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

In that case the corona wire needs cleaning

Reply to
N_Cook

No brain today. Too hot. That should be divide the distance between the lines by Pi to get the roller diameter.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's not dirty inside as far as I know what to look for. In fact, it's pretty clean.

Here is a scan of a photo that was put in the slot long-side horizontal. So the scan was vertical.

Notice that the scan was from the top to the bottom of this picture (from head to toe) but the "scratch" lines are from side to side (which is not the direction that the paper moved).

There isn't any moving object side to side, is there?

(The horizontal scratches are not in the original photo!)

Reply to
Emran M.

Just curious: is the aspect the same whatever scan quality you select? Scanning speed often changes with resolution.

Cheers!

Reply to
c4urs11

For clarification You are saying this only happens when you are scanning or copying? And presumably does not happen when you are printing from a computer. If that is right then this is not a problem with the printung mechanism which contains several rollers, but it is a problem with the scanning mechanism (and any rollers in that mechanism are very unlikely to cause this sort of issue). There is only one thing that you can do and that is locate the scanning glass and clean it very carefully, an extremely tiny dot of some contaminant (white out or similar) will cause long sstreaks on the scanner output. If that does not fix it then it looks like an electronic problem to me and that is probably not worth trying to repair. The glass is behind the feed cover. I see someone has directed you to the manual, it will explain how to get at the glass. Window cleaner will do the trick. Tony

Reply to
Tony

I just read the rest of this thread, and saw the scan you posted. If that is exactly what the scanner is producing then I have never seen anything like that and it is not caused by contamination on the scanner glass (because you say the lines are not in the direction of paper movement in the scanner). It actually looks like a scan of a photo printed by an inkjet printer that needs the heads cleaning but I am sure you sent the output of the scanner without any further processing didn't you? Tony

Reply to
Tony

If it happens when printing as well as copying you have a drum problem Just replace the drum (the space between the lines will be the circumference of the drum)

Reply to
clare

I just read the rest of this thread, and saw the scan you posted. If that is exactly what the scanner is producing then I have never seen anything like that and it is not caused by contamination on the scanner glass (because you say the lines are not in the direction of paper movement in the scanner). It actually looks like a scan of a photo printed by an inkjet printer that needs the heads cleaning but I am sure you sent the output of the scanner without any further processing didn't you? Tony Solution simple buy new one

Reply to
Tony944

If it is a printer issue (not the scanning engine) then it MAY be a drum problem but it may also be fuser or one of two other possible rollers. Tony

Reply to
Tony

Hit the inside of the machine with some compressed air. Ummm... remove the toner cartridge first. You'll be amazed at what can blow out of insides. Also, turn it upside down to remove staples and paper clips.

I think that means that your landscape photo moved through the mechanism lengthwise, or from left to right. Is that correct? I'm not sure because the landscape photo shows white lines perpendicular to the stylized lines shown in your original posting. Perhaps it might be better if you abandon the landscape scan and switch to a more consistent portrait scan? Extra credit for annotating the JPG to highlight the problem.

I thought it was the horizontal white scratches that you wanted to eliminated. I don't see any scratches perpendicular to the white scratches.

However, if it is the white scratches that are the problem, the answer is obvious. You have some dirt, white out, toner, or label glue stuck to the document scanner window. In the service manual:

Go thee unto Pg 226. That's the document scanner assembly on the front lid (behind the keyboard). The should be a narrow glass window in the document scanner somewhere. It's usually about 1/4" x 8.5" and runs along the width of the page. I can't find it in the various exploded views, but it has to be there. My guess(tm) is that it's covered with speckles of dirt, crud, dust, white-out, glue, etc. Clean it and the white streaks should disappear on the scans. Just follow the paper path during scanning. It should be somewhere along the path.

Another possible cause is that you have light leaking into the document scanner assembly causing the white streaks. I can't tell from here where it might be leaking in. Try a scan with the room lights turned off, or with a cardboard box over the 3200m, and see if the streaks disappear.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 20:24:27 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote: (...)

More:

You might want to try calibrating the document scanner:

In the document scanner calibration, it proclaims:

2 Before recalibrating the document scanner, open the document scanner and place a page that contains the black or white lines between the guides, just above the contact image sensor glass. The black or white line points to a portion of the glass that requires extra attention. 3 Clean the contact image sensor glass at the point indicated by the black or white line. 6 If the vertical black or white line appears on the copy of the demonstration page, continue with steps 7 through 13 below. 13 Line up the calibration graph with a newly copied page. If the dip in the calibration graph corresponds to the black or white line, the contaminant is likely internal and the contact image sensor assembly should be replaced.