Kenwood receiver no sound on FM source

connect

Let me throw a little Latin at you: "Post hoc, ergo procter hoct". This is a fallacy in reasoning that means "It followed, therefore it was caused by."

Barring some Truly Weird behavior in the receiver, this is coincidence. You need to take the unit to someone who can properly signal-trace the tuner and amplifier, and find the source of the problem.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

WHAT ANTENNA?

Could be that the muting threshold was reached.

Correct, but you could have done something else while you were back there. CHECK THE ANTENNA CONNECTIONS! I've posted this a couple of times, but you only seem to respond to people who support your fixation that something must be broken.

Ollie, I can't seem to emphasize this enough.

EXCUSE ME FOR SHOUTING, BUT HOOK UP AN ANTENNA OF SOME SORT!

You seem to be saying that nothing is connected to the terminals. If nothing is connected to the antenna terminals there is NO ANTENNA!

In strong signal areas, a receiver may pick up 'some' signal without one; but it will be tentative. At the threshold, almost anything, like

*moving some unrelated wires* in the vicinity, could take the signal below that threshold. Lack of stereo indication on some stations indicates you are near that threshold. You need some sort of antenna.

HOOK UP AN ANTENNA.

It may not help, but it's a lot cheaper than replacing the receiver--especially if that one doesn't work any either, because you didn't HOOK UP AN ANTENNA.

Your new receiver will need one, anyway. It may pick up 'something' without one, but reception will be cleaner, clearer and more reliable if you USE AN ANTENNA.

Report back.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Hi Jak, I replied to other guys as well, mentioning that I did connect an antenna, namely a T-shaped wire antenna. William even replied to this that it is a 300ohm instead of a 75ohm. Maybe you missed this post. Because it's a lengthy thread by now ;)

This antenna does receive 'some' signal but nearly not enough to get past the muting threshold, or to receive a stereo signal. I will try a more powerfull antenna, maybe with a build-in amplifier of some kind. But I'm going to have to buy this. Maybe this will give a signal strong enough to get something out of the receiver.

Well, these digital receivers do seem to need a much stronger antenna than the old analogue receivers because with such an older one I can manually tune in channels and receive stereo. Anyway. thanks all for your help, you too Jak.

Reply to
OllieBommel

connect

But the point is that you say the tuner DID work -- that is, it received at least one station well -- at one time. Therefore, the antenna, per se, is not the problem.

When you had reception, what antenna was connected to the unit?

Digital receivers DO NOT require a stronger signal level.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Best Buy for a new one

Reply to
aleadingroll

I think there is a problem with the FM electronics. Digital tuners are not inherently less of a performer than an analog. In fact I would say the opposite is true in most cases.

Reply to
Meat Plow