27" toshiba

Hi, I have a 2003, 27" Toshiba Tv M#27A33 that has 10 to 15 horizontal lines across the top 1/4 of the screen. Have tried various adjustments on screen and with dials on back of transformer, pots on board, No help. Everything else works great. Could this be a simple capacitor replacement? Already have board out of TV. Yes, I am well aware of High Voltage! Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Reply to
Mike Goertz

I have not serviced your model of set, but this is very common with many types of TV sets after a number of years of use.

If your set was working previously, making adjustments is the wrong way to service the set. Now you have two faults. You have defective parts, and a miss-adjusted set from the factory specs. When there is a performance change, the proper procedure is to find the fault, not make adjustments to try to mask it!

The retrace lines that you are describing are almost always caused by capacitors going out of specs in the vertical deflection area from age. Using an ESR meter is the best way to find bad caps. You may easily find at least 6 to 10 caps in your set that are off spec. Most of the time, there is no visual sign that a part is defective, unless the failure is catastrophic.

You can trace down all the caps, and replace all of them in the vertical area. Make sure you do not miss any. Sometimes a cap can be located in another part of the board even though it is part of the group of caps you want to change. You may be able to order the service manual from Toshiba. This will be very helpful if you have to troubleshoot the set.

--

JANA
_____