"Jungle" IC

Anyone know why it's called "jungle" ?

-- Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

COOSN-266-06-25794

Reply to
Meat Plow

I think that was someones clever term for a chip that does many functions i think its

``Y.C. jungle chip `` Panasonic had problems with those .

Reply to
Ken G.

If you ever saw the actual schematic of the internal circuit you would see it right away. I remember an old upc something or other, nowhere near the complexity of today, it was the 80s. You could see a schematic of it, but it was huge just to be able to see it.

Now we are only talking a color decoder and circuits to allow DC control of brightness, tint etc., this is nowhere near what we have today. Bus controlled with circuits to compensate with the geometry outputs for HV drop, coring, all kinds of stuff, and now the IF strip is usually in there.Now when you add the rest of a TV that has a full complement of composite, Y/C and component inputs it's like one of the jungles on a whole damn continent.

Mainly it's called a jungle because of it's complexity, but I did get a laugh when I heard of a manual referring to it as the "video rain forest".

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

I always thought it was in reference to the complicated waveform that makes up the video signal.

But I can't remember if I saw that spelled out years ago and have forgotten where, or if it's just an assumption.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

ISTR the Cyclops circuit used in UK TVs - don't know if that one made it off shore.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Homer J Simpson wrote:

After reading the posts in this thread, I now have a small idea of how complicated (!) the jungle IC is in my RCA CTC 185 19" TV. I would guess most of the small signal circuits are on that chip (my gosh, it seems like most of the TV, outside of the deflection circuits, is on there!), not to mention auto color control and so on. Which reminds me. I've been wondering for some time how the older (1990s) CRT RCAs (19" CTC185A7, model F19261 in particular) handle the auto color control functions. Posted a question in reference to this on AudioKarma.org (in one of their color-TV forums) some time ago and got no responses, so I'm posing the same question here. Are the control circuits on the jungle IC or are they on a separate black box chip, and do they operate anything like the older RCA ColorTrak system? I think my set must have some kind of color tracking system, as the color is very stable--haven't had to adjust the onscreen controls much at all since I installed the set seven years ago; I just set the auto-color menu option to "on" and left it there. If it is not strictly ColorTrak or a variation thereof, what type of auto color system did this set use? I know the later RCA TruFlat TVs have what is called "Advanced Color View"; is this also a variation on the ColorTrak system? Whatever it is, it must work very well, because as I said, the color on my RCA CTC185 TV is very stable with the auto-color on; it's the most stable of any color TV I've ever owned, and I've had several in my life, including two 13" Zenith color portables that weren't half bad in that department.

I realize the part of my post dealing with ColorTrak, etc. is off topic in this thread, but I thought it might fit in, considering we're talking about the jungle IC in modern sets and its many functions. I wouldn't be surprised if a very sophisticated auto-color system is on that chip somewhere.

Kind regards,

Jeff Strieble, WB8NHV (email addy not shown to deter spammers) Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Reply to
Jeff, WB8NHV

Hey Homey - hows it goin' ? That was a Thorn special and it was Syclops with an "S". It was an acronym for SY-nchronous C-hopper and L-ine O-utput S-tage. As I recall, it was used in the 8500 chassis - maybe the 8000 as well - and was a bloody nightmare to work on ! Happy days ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I never could see how to repair such a beast unless you had a power supply to run the set while you fixed it.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

In message , Homer J Simpson writes

Euuughh, thank you very much for reminding me of that one.... BTW, wasn't it Syclops? Nasty Thorn sh*t.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

In message , Homer J Simpson writes

Umm, Variac, several different light bulbs for current limiting and a large bag of thyristors.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Because it's swampy mess that's swarming with exotic animals. It's a chip where they've thrown in as many functions as they can, to keep down the chip count. Canon used to use the name 'Octopus chip' for the same sorts of chips, & some of their Octopus chips even had a cartoon of an octopus on the package.

  \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Lionel

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 14:39:40 +1100, Lionel Has Frothed:

That's cool. The term jungle has been around awhile. I think I first came across it in the mid/late 80's.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Yep, that's when the industry realised that it was now cheaper to shoehorn a bunch of functions into a big chip on one or two PCBs than to build, connect & test twice as many PCBs. Canon lead the way with that philosophy in other complex, high volume machines like copiers, lasers, etc. It was always fun opening up their high end machines for the first time, because they put cute pictures (like the octopus chip I mentioned) on most of their other ASICs as well. Sadly, it's all very boring these days. ;)