Jumpy display on Sony P1110

Recently, my venerable P1110 has gotten "jumpy". The screen will begin to get pincushion and "twitches" between a good display and the distorted one. The distortion gets more severe and more frequent until the deflection totally collapses and the monitor suddenly shuts off, restarts, and goes back to the same thing. Or not. Sometimes the twitching is incessant, sometimes it's not a problem for a few hours.

Because convergence and focus are fine during the "seizures", I suspect a power supply problem in the deflection drivers.

Any suggestions or info on known problems? (This is the same model that has a tendency to drift to higher and higher brightness -- I've already dealt with that one).

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Take the back off and tap around the PSU/deflection with a non conductive instrument and see if you can get the tapping to corrospond with the image. If it's a loose solder connection good luck finding it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Good idea. Sony has a long history of not knowing how to make reliable solder joints.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Yeah having done their warranty for a couple years that was evident but that was a long time ago and not on computer monitors. Sony monitors are usually reliable and run till the crt gun jumps the shark.

Reply to
Meat Plow