Jeantech JN120-450-AP, ATX PSU.

A relative donated this, said it was sparking when switched on.

On opening the case I found a group of electrolytics behind the bunch of output wires had vented.

Does anyone know of a specific component failure that causes the regulation to go haywire?

There's brown glue on the sub-panel on the primary side, this was a common cause of problems with CRT monitors.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ian Field

Quite a few people will repair computer PSUs, but new replacements are readily available and not very expensive. Almost any new PSU will be much more reliable than a repaired used one.

The actual value of a used, failed, then repaired PSU is very low.. both monitarily and from a reliability perspective, IMO.

I'll generally save the wire leads and the AC cord receptacle, screws, and little else.

The capacitors may have failed because they were very low quality parts.. I'd expect that the other parts would be of approximately the same quality.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Vented electrolytics are a likely cause of poor requlation. The caps didn't vent because the output voltage was too high, they vented because they were poorly manufactured.

One intelligent approach would be to replace every cap on the secondary side with name brand low ESR caps of the original voltage and capacity. Also replace any small (

Reply to
PlainBill47