ATX PSU and motherboard

I don't remember seeing a question here about ATX PSUs and motherboards. So if there is a better forum to ask my question no doubt someone will tell me where...

My previous computer became progressively more reluctant to boot up and eventually I gave up and bought a new ATX PSU in case that was the problem. That was not a cure so I removed the motherboard as well and bought a new one. That combination has been working ever since, with enough problems to be interesting, of course...

But I would like to know if anything can be done with the old PSU and motherboard combination. If I power up the PSU alone by shorting the green PS_ON connection to ground the fan turns and voltages appear briefly, but then it goes dead again. If I connect the PSU to motherboard and short the front panel "on" contact the same thing happens. The CPU fan turns as well as the PSU one, but only momentarily.

I took the cover off the PSU but the inside shows nothing untoward.

Is there anything that I can do for some more diagnosis? The motherboards is a GA-8ISXT-FS and the PSU FSP300-60ATV with a 20-pin main power connector.

Reply to
MJC

AT one time many mother boards were failing because the capacitors on them were defective. Look at some of the big ones tops, especially near th eprocessor and those coils of wire. If they are sort of dome shaped instead of flat, that would be the place to start.

Sometimes you could heat the board and it would start and then run for a long time. Cut it off and you had to heat it again to get it to start.

I sent a couple of boards back for replacement due to this problem years ago.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

There's a lot that can be done as far as diagnosis, but learning to diagnose computer problems is ... better left to folk who do it fulltime.

Power supply problems are testable without having a new power supply. Motherboard problems are testable and detectable, but rarely fixable (the bulging-capacitors issue of 2000-2010 vintage being a notable exception).

Your best plan, if you suspect a hardware problem, is to FIRST rule out software (and firmware) issues. Then, visually inspect (for loose or dirty connectors, burned-up components, stalled fans, etc.). Then run test software for common issues (memory, hard disk). At this point, though, you're left with having to repace major parts (like a motherboard or CPU), which you already know.

Reply to
whit3rd

Inspecting the electrolytic capacitors on both items is the place to start.

An ESR meter would take the guesswork out of it, but the good ones aren't cheap. The most usual sign is bulged tops on the capacitor cans, but they can also appear slightly sunken - if they're running hot enough to build up a head of steam, they can lose electrolyte through the end seal - when they cool, a vacuum forms inside. Since dodgy electrolytics tend to get hot, the plastic covering sleeve can deteriorate giving the capacitor a tired shabby appearance.

If an ATX PSU is reluctant to start; keep trying is a bad idea - they can suddenly burst into life without any regulation!

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

can

Thanks - wow, concentrating on the PSU stand-alone and not plugged into the m/b seems like a Good Idea!

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

You need a dummy load for that.

Only the 5V & 3.3V rails are regulated, once they come up to spec, the PWM throttles back to idle - the other rails will collapse if you try to draw current.

My dummy load uses both filaments of a H4 headlamp bulb for the 5 & 3.3 rails, an indicator bulb for the +12V and dash bulbs for the rest.

That loads it well enough to scope all the rails for ripple.

There's usually a very small electrolytic close to the SMPSU chip that samples the error voltage - if that's one of the expired, the PSU can go bang.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot